* RAID-0 read perf. decrease after 2.4.20
@ 2003-11-20 16:45 Mikael Johansson
From: Mikael Johansson @ 2003-11-20 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid, linux-kernel

Hello All!

Has anyone else experienced a drastic drop in read performance on software
RAID-0 with post 2.4.20 kernels? We have a few Athlon XP's here at our
lab with double IDE disks on different channels set up as RAID-0. Some
bonnie++ benchmark results with various kernels, on the same machine
(Athlon XP 2400+, 2 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, VIA chipset, 2*Maxtor 120 GB
6Y060L0):
		write	read
2.4.20-ac1:	88,000 	135,000 K/sec
2.4.21-pre7:	93,000   75,000
2.4.22-ac4:	94,000	 82,000

So the write speed has gone up a bit, but the read speed performance has
plunged. Any ideas on what happened between 2.4.20 and 2.4.21 and what to
do about it? I'm eagerly awaiting suggestions, good read speed is quite
critical for many of our calculations :-) I will of course provide more
details if necessary.

Have a nice day,
    Mikael J.
    http://www.helsinki.fi/~mpjohans/

* Re: RAID-0 read perf. decrease after 2.4.20
@ 2003-11-24 10:05 Martin Knoblauch
From: Martin Knoblauch @ 2003-11-24 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

>Hello All!
>
>Has anyone else experienced a drastic drop in read performance on
>software
>RAID-0 with post 2.4.20 kernels? We have a few Athlon XP's here at our
>lab with double IDE disks on different channels set up as RAID-0. Some
>bonnie++ benchmark results with various kernels, on the same machine
>(Athlon XP 2400+, 2 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, VIA chipset, 2*Maxtor 120 GB
>6Y060L0):
>write read
>2.4.20-ac1: 88,000 135,000 K/sec
>2.4.21-pre7: 93,000 75,000
>2.4.22-ac4: 94,000 82,000

Hi,

 I can attest a similar drop in read performance on a IA64 box going
from a 2.4.19ish kernel to 2.4.22. In our setup the RAID0 is LVM, not
MD.The RAID is used a a scratch device for a out-of-core finite element
program (NASTRAN).

 The setup is some 20 disks on 4 controllers. "iozone" read/reread
Performance went from about 400MB/sec to 260 MB/sec, while write went
up a notch. Unfortunatelly the read performance is more important for
the application in question.

 Due to the fact that I have no controll over the use of the system I
cannot make any experiments to find out what killed performance. Sorry
:-(

Martin

=====
Martin Knoblauch
email: knobi@knobisoft.de or knobi@rocketmail.com
www:   http://www.knobisoft.de

* Re: RAID-0 read perf. decrease after 2.4.20
@ 2003-11-25  9:41 Martin Knoblauch
From: Martin Knoblauch @ 2003-11-25  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: kernel

>And this isn't the read-ahead size change thing?

 Hmm. Sounds interesting/promising. Do you have any pointers to the
change? Which kind of disks does it affect? All? SCSI? IDE?

Thanks
Martin

=====

@ 2003-12-16 12:51 Martin Knoblauch
From: Martin Knoblauch @ 2003-12-16 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Monday 08 December 2003 13:47, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

Hi Marcelo,

> 2.4.20-aa included rmap and some VM modifications most notably
> "drop_behind()" logic which I believe should be the reason for the
huge
> read speedups. Can you please try it? Against 2.4.23.

 Just some feedback:

echo 511 > /proc/sys/vm/max-readahead

 brings back the read performance of my 30 disks on 4 controller
LVM/RAID0.

Cheers
Martin

=====