From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
To: "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net>
Cc: Linux-Kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: nmi errors?
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 08:18:46 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> We ran "memtest" on the machine over the weekend and it completed 3
> times without any problems.  Know a better or different test?

Write 0x80 out port 0x70, and hope nobody accesses the RTC. This
will (should) disable the NMI line. Then see if the error messages
go away. If they do, it's a real NMI and you really do have bad
RAM somewhere. If they don't, your motherboard is getting glitched
either by bad design or something plugged into a slot that doesn't
have the correct timing specs.

If everything works, in spite of the NMI, just comment out the
kernel printk() and cross your fingers.