* Additional clauses to GPL in network drivers
@ 2003-12-07 15:15 John Bradford
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: John Bradford @ 2003-12-07 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Many network drivers in the current 2.6 tree include the following
licensing condition/clarification, in addition to being placed under
the GPL:

"This file is not a complete program and may only be used when the
entire operating system is licensed under the GPL".

as
grep -C 1 "only be used when"

in drivers/net will confirm.

*Please*, can we resist the temptation to 'play' with licenses in this
way?  I suspect this extra clause was added just to clarify what the
GPL already says, but in doing so, it just confuses matters, and ends
up causing more work.

For example, it brings up a few issues:

1. How is 'operating system' supposed to be defined in this context?

I assume that if it meant just the kernel, it would say 'kernel'.

If you define 'operating system' as including some userspace
utilities, it's going to cause problems, as some common utilities are
not GPL'ed, (the extra clause doesn't say 'GPL-compatible', it
specifically specifies GPL).

2. Is code licensed under this extra term actually compatible with
code placed under the GPL alone?

3. I haven't tried to trace the history of this code, but if these
drivers were based on, and include, other developer's purely GPL'ed
code, applying this extra condition is presumably not valid, (unless
specific permission was sought to do so).

4. The obvious issue concerning binary modules - does loading a binary
module which is not licensed under the GPL invalidate your license to
use these network drivers?  Note that I personally have no interest
whatsoever in using such binary modules, but whatever ends up being
decided for the GPL'ed parts of the kernel, this extra clause suggests
to me that it specifically isn't OK whilst using these network
drivers.

John.

* Re: Additional clauses to GPL in network drivers
@ 2003-12-07 17:15 Xose Vazquez Perez
From: Xose Vazquez Perez @ 2003-12-07 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

John Bradford wrote:

> "This file is not a complete program and may only be used when the
> entire operating system is licensed under the GPL".

to be more exact, it would have to say:

This file is not a complete program and may only be used when the
entire *derived work* is licensed under the GPL *version XX*

Or if you want be pedantic:

---cut---
   NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
 services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
 of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".
 Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software
 Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the Linux
 kernel) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it.

 Also note that the only valid version of the GPL as far as the kernel
 is concerned is _this_ particular version of the license (ie v2, not
 v2.2 or v3.x or whatever), unless explicitly otherwise stated.
--end---
where '_this_' is linux/COPYING

BTW, there is in Kernel Janitor TODO list [1] an item to
place a GPL head on all source files.

Maybe, now that Torvalds is boring and waiting for akpm.
He could do this job ;-)

[1] http://alumno.inacap.cl/kj-wiki/bin/view/KJ/ToDo