From: "David griego" <dagriego@hotmail.com>
To: jgarzik@pobox.com
Cc: alan@storlinksemi.com, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Alan Shih: "TCP IP Offloading Interface"
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:43:44 -0700	[thread overview]

>Jeff Garzik wrote:
>Anything beyond basic host-only TOE adds massive complexity for very little
>gain:  interfacing netfilter and routing code with a black box we _hope_
>will act properly sounds like suicide.
Keep most of this on the host, offload only performance path like the
Alacritech TOE.

>All this is vague handwaving without supporting evidence.  So far we get
>stuff like Internet2 speed records _without_ TOE.  And Linux currently
>supports 10gige...  and hosts are just going to keep getting faster and
>faster.

Intel Clusters and Network Storage Volume Platforms Lab reported that it
takes about 1MHz to process 1Mbps on a PIII.  Using this rule of thumb (they
showed it scaling from 400MHz to 800MHz) it would take 10GHz to process
10Mbps.  Well you might say "what about multi-processers?"  This would be
good for people that have multi-processors, but there is a large segment of
embedded processors that are not going have SMP, or be at 10GHz anytime
soon.  Besides that processing interrupts does not scale across MPs
liniarly.  The truth is that communication speeds are outpacing processor
speeds at this time.
David