* Re: 2.6.0-test 2 & matroxfb or orinoco wifi card
@ 2003-07-29 20:49 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-07-29 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Huijsmans; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 29 Jul 03 at 22:35, Jan Huijsmans wrote:
> After digging a bit in the archives I couldn't find the solution to my problem,
> so I'm asking you guys.

It is bug in matroxfb. I sent patch to Linus already, but it did not found
its way through his email filters yet. I'll try again...

> I found the "matroxfb and 2.6.0-test2" thread, so it's possible to compile the
> kernel with the matrox framebuffer, but I can't find what I'm missing. Did I
> forget to set a config option (all copied from the 2.4.21 config except the
> nForce2 agp chipset)?

But anyway, you are trying to build your kernel without virtual terminal
support (and, BTW, did you enable support for keyboard?) and it is probably
not what you want.

If you really insist on kernel without VT support (your screen will be
black! your monitor will poweroff...), you can apply patch from
ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb-novt.gz.
                                        Best regards,
                                            Petr Vandrovec

* Re: 2.6.0-test 2 & matroxfb or orinoco wifi card
@ 2003-07-29 21:31 ` Jan Huijsmans
From: Jan Huijsmans @ 2003-07-29 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On 29-Jul-2003 Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> On 29 Jul 03 at 22:35, Jan Huijsmans wrote:
>> After digging a bit in the archives I couldn't find the solution to my
>> problem, so I'm asking you guys.
> It is bug in matroxfb. I sent patch to Linus already, but it did not found
> its way through his email filters yet. I'll try again...

Hmmm, I found the patch, but that didn't help. (I suspect you're talking about
the matroxfb-2.5.72 patch mentioned on the list)

>> I found the "matroxfb and 2.6.0-test2" thread, so it's possible to compile
>> the
>> kernel with the matrox framebuffer, but I can't find what I'm missing. Did I
>> forget to set a config option (all copied from the 2.4.21 config except the
>> nForce2 agp chipset)?
> But anyway, you are trying to build your kernel without virtual terminal
> support (and, BTW, did you enable support for keyboard?) and it is probably
> not what you want.

I found the keyboard setting, after which the VT support came available. Wierd
that I didn't find it myself, as my laptop has no problems with 2.6 (accept
that I need to recompile the pcmcia package) and it's not using a framebuffer.

It compiled without a problem this time. I'm afraid I have to test it tomorrow,
as my boss prefers me to be awake at work. (and I prefer to be awake when
driving there ;-))

---

Jan Huijsmans              kernel@koffie.nu

... cannot activate /dev/brain, no response from main coffee server

* Re: 2.6.0-test 2 & matroxfb or orinoco wifi card
@ 2003-07-30 12:27 ` Adam Voigt
From: Adam Voigt @ 2003-07-30 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Huijsmans; +Cc: linux-kernel

Might be not the same, but I got this same
error when I forgot to check "Virtual Terminal"
in the config.

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 16:35, Jan Huijsmans wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After digging a bit in the archives I couldn't find the solution to my problem,
> so I'm asking you guys.
>
> I found the "matroxfb and 2.6.0-test2" thread, so it's possible to compile the
> kernel with the matrox framebuffer, but I can't find what I'm missing. Did I
> forget to set a config option (all copied from the 2.4.21 config except the
> nForce2 agp chipset)?
>
> This is the error I'm getting while linking.
>
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x89c80): In function `matroxfb_set_par':
> : undefined reference to `default_grn'
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x89c85): In function `matroxfb_set_par':
> : undefined reference to `default_blu'
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x89c93): In function `matroxfb_set_par':
> : undefined reference to `color_table'
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x89c9b): In function `matroxfb_set_par':
> : undefined reference to `default_red'
>
> I would suspect I'm missing libraries, but I don't know which set. I'm runnig
> with a dabian sarge distro, the system has an Athlon XP CPU, with asus A7N8X-X
> mainboard, matrox G550 graphics card.
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction to get this working?
>
> ---
>
> Jan Huijsmans              kernel@koffie.nu
>
> ... cannot activate /dev/brain, no response from main coffee server
>

> -
Adam Voigt (adam@cryptocomm.com)
Linux/Unix Network Administrator
The Cryptocomm Group

* Re: 2.6.0-test 2 & matroxfb or orinoco wifi card
@ 2003-07-29 21:46 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-07-29 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Huijsmans; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 29 Jul 03 at 23:31, Jan Huijsmans wrote:
> On 29-Jul-2003 Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> > On 29 Jul 03 at 22:35, Jan Huijsmans wrote:
> >> After digging a bit in the archives I couldn't find the solution to my
> >> problem, so I'm asking you guys.
> > It is bug in matroxfb. I sent patch to Linus already, but it did not found
> > its way through his email filters yet. I'll try again...
>
> Hmmm, I found the patch, but that didn't help. (I suspect you're talking about
> the matroxfb-2.5.72 patch mentioned on the list)

No, I was talking about URL I gave you - matroxfb-novt.gz.

matroxfb-2.5.72 does completely different things, and in your headless
and keyboardless situation it can make situation only worse.

> I found the keyboard setting, after which the VT support came available. Wierd
> that I didn't find it myself, as my laptop has no problems with 2.6 (accept
> that I need to recompile the pcmcia package) and it's not using a framebuffer.

I do not believe that you are using your laptop without keyboard and you
did not notice it yet.
                                                Petr

* Re: 2.6.0-test 2 & matroxfb or orinoco wifi card
@ 2003-07-29 21:22 ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-07-29 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Huijsmans; +Cc: linux-kernel

> After digging a bit in the archives I couldn't find the solution to my problem,
> so I'm asking you guys.
>
> I found the "matroxfb and 2.6.0-test2" thread, so it's possible to compile the
> kernel with the matrox framebuffer, but I can't find what I'm missing. Did I
> forget to set a config option (all copied from the 2.4.21 config except the
> nForce2 agp chipset)?
>
> This is the error I'm getting while linking.
>
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x89c80): In function `matroxfb_set_par':
> : undefined reference to `default_grn'
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x89c85): In function `matroxfb_set_par':
> : undefined reference to `default_blu'
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x89c93): In function `matroxfb_set_par':
> : undefined reference to `color_table'
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x89c9b): In function `matroxfb_set_par':
> : undefined reference to `default_red'

Ug. There is a patch for that but it never got included. BTW this means
you didn't turn on Framebuffer console. Please turn it on.

* 2.6.0-test 2 & matroxfb or orinoco wifi card
@ 2003-07-29 20:37 Jan Huijsmans
From: Jan Huijsmans @ 2003-07-29 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,