On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 02:56:12PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote: > On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 12:33:35 +0000, Mark Brown wrote: > > On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 07:34:41PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote: > > > It is actually better to always build such drivers with OF enabled, > > > so that the test builds are closer to how each driver will actually be > > > built on its intended target. Building them without OF may not test > > > much as the compiler will optimize out potentially large parts of the > > > code. In the worst case, this could even pop false positive warnings. > > > Dropping COMPILE_TEST here improves the quality of our testing and > > > avoids wasting time on non-existent issues. > > As ever building without OF does not preclude building with OF. > I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand what point you are trying to make > here. You're overselling what the change does here in a way that's getting a bit silly. It's just cutting down the amount of stuff the randconfig people do, that's all. It's not particularly bad to compile without the DT support, I suppose you could argue that it's preserving our ability to work with other firmware interfaces although that's a bit of a push (but then a lot of the stuff generated by randconfig is in a similar ballpark of course). The whole point with COMPILE_TEST is that it's enabling unrealistic things that probably aren't practically useful. > That's true, but it's a matter of quantity versus quality. Would you > rather test build the code twice in its crippled form, which may > trigger false-positive warnings or hide actual warnings, or just once > in its proper form, where all warnings and build failures are real? I > definitely believe the latter is a better use of our resources. I'm not saying don't do the change, I'm saying don't oversell it.