* linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the drm-intel tree
@ 2021-07-15  4:18 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-07-15  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter, Jani Nikula, Joonas Lahtinen, Rodrigo Vivi,
	Intel Graphics, DRI
  Cc: Matt Roper, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List

Hi all,

Commit

  db47fe727e1f ("drm/i915/step: s/<platform>_revid_tbl/<platform>_revids")

is missing a Signed-off-by from its committer.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the drm-intel tree
@ 2021-08-06  6:36 ` Joonas Lahtinen
From: Joonas Lahtinen @ 2021-08-06  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DRI, Daniel Vetter, Intel Graphics, Jani Nikula, Rodrigo Vivi,
	Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Matt Roper, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List

Hi Matt,

Always use the dim tooling when applying patches, it will do the right
thing with regards to adding the S-o-b.

Regards, Joonas

Quoting Stephen Rothwell (2021-07-15 07:18:54)

@ 2021-08-09 14:05   ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2021-08-09 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joonas Lahtinen
  Cc: DRI, Daniel Vetter, Intel Graphics, Jani Nikula, Rodrigo Vivi,
	Stephen Rothwell, Matt Roper, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Linux Next Mailing List

On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 09:36:56AM +0300, Joonas Lahtinen wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> Always use the dim tooling when applying patches, it will do the right
> thing with regards to adding the S-o-b.

fd.o server rejects any pushes that haven't been done by dim, so how did
this get through? Matt, can you pls figure out and type up the patch to
plug that hole?

Thanks, Daniel

--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

* Re: linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the drm-intel tree
@ 2021-08-09 16:19     ` Matt Roper
From: Matt Roper @ 2021-08-09 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joonas Lahtinen, DRI, Intel Graphics, Jani Nikula, Rodrigo Vivi,
	Stephen Rothwell, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Linux Next Mailing List

On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 04:05:59PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 09:36:56AM +0300, Joonas Lahtinen wrote:
> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > Always use the dim tooling when applying patches, it will do the right
> > thing with regards to adding the S-o-b.
>
> fd.o server rejects any pushes that haven't been done by dim, so how did
> this get through?

I definitely used dim for all of these patches, but I'm not sure how I
lost my s-o-b on this one.  Maybe when I edited the commit message after
'dim extract-tags' I accidentally deleted an extra line when I removed
the extract-tags marker?  It's the only patch where the line is missing,
so it's almost certainly human error on my part rather than something
dim did wrong.

> Matt, can you pls figure out and type up the patch to
> plug that hole?

Are you referring to a patch for dim here?  The i915 patch has already
landed, so we can't change its commit message now.

Matt

--
Matt Roper
Graphics Software Engineer

* Re: [Intel-gfx] linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the drm-intel tree
@ 2021-08-10  6:27       ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2021-08-10  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Roper
  Cc: Joonas Lahtinen, DRI, Intel Graphics, Jani Nikula, Rodrigo Vivi,

On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 09:19:39AM -0700, Matt Roper wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 04:05:59PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 09:36:56AM +0300, Joonas Lahtinen wrote:
> > > Hi Matt,
> > >
> > > Always use the dim tooling when applying patches, it will do the right
> > > thing with regards to adding the S-o-b.
> >
> > fd.o server rejects any pushes that haven't been done by dim, so how did
> > this get through?
>
> I definitely used dim for all of these patches, but I'm not sure how I
> lost my s-o-b on this one.  Maybe when I edited the commit message after
> 'dim extract-tags' I accidentally deleted an extra line when I removed
> the extract-tags marker?  It's the only patch where the line is missing,
> so it's almost certainly human error on my part rather than something
> dim did wrong.

Yeah that's an expected failure model, and dim is supposed to catch that
by rechecking for sobs when you push. See dim_push_branch ->
checkpatch_commit_push_range in dim. So you can hand-edit stuff however
you want, dim /should/ catch it when pushing. That it didn't is kinda
confusing and I'd like to know why that slipped through.

> > Matt, can you pls figure out and type up the patch to
> > plug that hole?
>
> Are you referring to a patch for dim here?  The i915 patch has already
> landed, so we can't change its commit message now.

Yeah dim, not drm-intel, that can't be fixed anymore because it's all
baked in.
-Daniel

--

@ 2021-08-11  5:56         ` Joonas Lahtinen
From: Joonas Lahtinen @ 2021-08-11  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter, Matt Roper
  Cc: DRI, Intel Graphics, Jani Nikula, Rodrigo Vivi, Stephen Rothwell,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List, Dave Airlie

+ Dave as FYI

Quoting Daniel Vetter (2021-08-10 09:27:25)

@ 2021-08-11  7:16         ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2021-08-11  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter, Matt Roper
  Cc: Joonas Lahtinen, DRI, Intel Graphics, Rodrigo Vivi,

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021, Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 09:19:39AM -0700, Matt Roper wrote:

>> > fd.o server rejects any pushes that haven't been done by dim, so how did
>> > this get through?
>>
>> I definitely used dim for all of these patches, but I'm not sure how I
>> lost my s-o-b on this one.  Maybe when I edited the commit message after
>> 'dim extract-tags' I accidentally deleted an extra line when I removed
>> the extract-tags marker?  It's the only patch where the line is missing,
>> so it's almost certainly human error on my part rather than something
>> dim did wrong.
>
> Yeah that's an expected failure model, and dim is supposed to catch that
> by rechecking for sobs when you push. See dim_push_branch ->
> checkpatch_commit_push_range in dim. So you can hand-edit stuff however
> you want, dim /should/ catch it when pushing. That it didn't is kinda
> confusing and I'd like to know why that slipped through.

One of the failures that happened here was that the commit was part of a
topic branch that was merged and pushed directly. All merges should
happen via pull requests on the list, and applied (preferrably by
maintainers or at least with their acks recorded on the merge) using dim
apply-pull which should also have the checks.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center

* Re: [Intel-gfx] linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the drm-intel tree
@ 2021-08-11  9:48           ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2021-08-11  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Nikula
  Cc: Daniel Vetter, Matt Roper, Joonas Lahtinen, DRI, Intel Graphics,
	Rodrigo Vivi, Stephen Rothwell, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Linux Next Mailing List

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 10:16:41AM +0300, Jani Nikula wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2021, Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch> wrote:

> >> I definitely used dim for all of these patches, but I'm not sure how I
> >> lost my s-o-b on this one.  Maybe when I edited the commit message after
> >> 'dim extract-tags' I accidentally deleted an extra line when I removed
> >> the extract-tags marker?  It's the only patch where the line is missing,
> >> so it's almost certainly human error on my part rather than something
> >> dim did wrong.
> >
> > Yeah that's an expected failure model, and dim is supposed to catch that
> > by rechecking for sobs when you push. See dim_push_branch ->
> > checkpatch_commit_push_range in dim. So you can hand-edit stuff however
> > you want, dim /should/ catch it when pushing. That it didn't is kinda
> > confusing and I'd like to know why that slipped through.
>
> One of the failures that happened here was that the commit was part of a
> topic branch that was merged and pushed directly. All merges should
> happen via pull requests on the list, and applied (preferrably by
> maintainers or at least with their acks recorded on the merge) using dim
> apply-pull which should also have the checks.

Ah yes if the merge is applied directly instead of using apply-pull then
that's not good. I guess that's why we have the rule that only maintainers
should handle topic branches ...

Not sure how we can fix this in dim? Maybe a check whether the patches
your pushing contain a merge commit, which prompts an additional query
like

"Merge commits should only be done by repo maintainers, not committers.
Confirm that you are a maintainer of $repo?"

It's not the first time this slipped through and caused some fun. Similar
to how we have the confirmation check if you push a lot of patches.

Thoughts?
-Daniel

@ 2021-08-11 11:02             ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2021-08-11 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter
  Cc: Daniel Vetter, Matt Roper, Joonas Lahtinen, DRI, Intel Graphics,

On Wed, 11 Aug 2021, Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 10:16:41AM +0300, Jani Nikula wrote:

>> > Yeah that's an expected failure model, and dim is supposed to catch that
>> > by rechecking for sobs when you push. See dim_push_branch ->
>> > checkpatch_commit_push_range in dim. So you can hand-edit stuff however
>> > you want, dim /should/ catch it when pushing. That it didn't is kinda
>> > confusing and I'd like to know why that slipped through.
>>
>> One of the failures that happened here was that the commit was part of a
>> topic branch that was merged and pushed directly. All merges should
>> happen via pull requests on the list, and applied (preferrably by
>> maintainers or at least with their acks recorded on the merge) using dim
>> apply-pull which should also have the checks.
>
> Ah yes if the merge is applied directly instead of using apply-pull then
> that's not good. I guess that's why we have the rule that only maintainers
> should handle topic branches ...
>
> Not sure how we can fix this in dim? Maybe a check whether the patches
> your pushing contain a merge commit, which prompts an additional query
> like
>
> "Merge commits should only be done by repo maintainers, not committers.
> Confirm that you are a maintainer of $repo?"
>
> It's not the first time this slipped through and caused some fun. Similar
> to how we have the confirmation check if you push a lot of patches.

I sent an untested patch to this effect. It's a start. I guess there
could be more detailed automated checks, but frankly dim is getting
pretty complicated for a bash script. Or because it's a bash script.

BR,
Jani.

@ 2021-08-11 14:09           ` Rodrigo Vivi
From: Rodrigo Vivi @ 2021-08-11 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Nikula
  Cc: Daniel Vetter, Matt Roper, Joonas Lahtinen, DRI, Intel Graphics,
	Stephen Rothwell, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Linux Next Mailing List

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 10:16:41AM +0300, Jani Nikula wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2021, Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch> wrote:

> >> I definitely used dim for all of these patches, but I'm not sure how I
> >> lost my s-o-b on this one.  Maybe when I edited the commit message after
> >> 'dim extract-tags' I accidentally deleted an extra line when I removed
> >> the extract-tags marker?  It's the only patch where the line is missing,
> >> so it's almost certainly human error on my part rather than something
> >> dim did wrong.
> >
> > Yeah that's an expected failure model, and dim is supposed to catch that
> > by rechecking for sobs when you push. See dim_push_branch ->
> > checkpatch_commit_push_range in dim. So you can hand-edit stuff however
> > you want, dim /should/ catch it when pushing. That it didn't is kinda
> > confusing and I'd like to know why that slipped through.
>
> One of the failures that happened here was that the commit was part of a
> topic branch that was merged and pushed directly. All merges should
> happen via pull requests on the list, and applied (preferrably by
> maintainers or at least with their acks recorded on the merge) using dim
> apply-pull which should also have the checks.

My bad. I have asked Matt to go ahead with the topic branch.
So it is an ack, which didn't get recorded.
But I didn't expect this case of missing dim checks with this flow.

Sorry,
Rodrigo.

@ 2021-08-11 15:15             ` Matt Roper
From: Matt Roper @ 2021-08-11 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Nikula, Joonas Lahtinen, DRI, Intel Graphics, Rodrigo Vivi,

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 11:48:00AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 10:16:41AM +0300, Jani Nikula wrote:

> > > Yeah that's an expected failure model, and dim is supposed to catch that
> > > by rechecking for sobs when you push. See dim_push_branch ->
> > > checkpatch_commit_push_range in dim. So you can hand-edit stuff however
> > > you want, dim /should/ catch it when pushing. That it didn't is kinda
> > > confusing and I'd like to know why that slipped through.
> >
> > One of the failures that happened here was that the commit was part of a
> > topic branch that was merged and pushed directly. All merges should
> > happen via pull requests on the list, and applied (preferrably by
> > maintainers or at least with their acks recorded on the merge) using dim
> > apply-pull which should also have the checks.
>
> Ah yes if the merge is applied directly instead of using apply-pull then
> that's not good. I guess that's why we have the rule that only maintainers
> should handle topic branches ...

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this rule.  I double checked with Rodrigo before
doing so and he thought merging a branch directly to intel-next and
gt-next with the foundational definitions and tables should be an okay
approach here (and he did an extra backmerge in preparation to make sure
it went smoothly).

Anyway, definitely my fault; I'll keep this in mind for the future.

Matt

--

@ 2018-11-07  0:07   ` Manasi Navare
From: Manasi Navare @ 2018-11-07  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Vivi
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Daniel Vetter, Intel Graphics,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, DRI, Linux-Next Mailing List

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 04:00:34PM -0800, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 06:59:29AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Commit
> >
> >   35b876db4a42 ("drm/i915/dsc: Add slice_row_per_frame in DSC PPS programming")
> >
> > is missing a Signed-off-by from its committer.
>
> It seems the tag "Suggested-by:" tricked out our maintainer tools.

Hmm yea that makes sense since it did have suggested-by: me (committer)
so it skipped adding my sign-off.

Thanks for catching this and fixing it in tools.

Manasi

@ 2018-11-07  0:00 ` Rodrigo Vivi
From: Rodrigo Vivi @ 2018-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Daniel Vetter, Jani Nikula, Joonas Lahtinen, Intel Graphics, DRI,
	Linux-Next Mailing List, Linux Kernel Mailing List