* Contributing to drivers/staging area
@ 2021-08-20 14:45 Len Baker
From: Len Baker @ 2021-08-20 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: kernelnewbies, linux-kernel

Hi Greg,

I am a kernel newbie in the path to find an area where to contribute
on. I have sent some patches before (simple ones) but I would like
to find some driver to contribute on and if possible mantain in the
future. Due to the big amount of drivers in staging, and my lack
of experience and specific hardware:

Are there any driver in the staging area that not requires specific
hardware? I have only access to an old laptop with 4 processors:

vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 37
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU       M 370  @ 2.40GHz

Can I find a driver to contribute on with my machine requirements?
If yes, any advise to select one would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to improve the driver until get it out from staging ;)
And then maintain it.

Another option for me if there are no drivers would be create one
from zero. But I don't have any idea of useful driver. Any advise
and ideas here would be also great appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Len

* Re: Contributing to drivers/staging area
@ 2021-08-26  8:39 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-08-26  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Len Baker; +Cc: linux-kernel, kernelnewbies

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 04:45:15PM +0200, Len Baker wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> I am a kernel newbie in the path to find an area where to contribute
> on. I have sent some patches before (simple ones) but I would like
> to find some driver to contribute on and if possible mantain in the
> future. Due to the big amount of drivers in staging, and my lack
> of experience and specific hardware:
>
> Are there any driver in the staging area that not requires specific
> hardware? I have only access to an old laptop with 4 processors:

I think all drivers in staging relate to real hardware, so I would
recommend just buying one of the cheap devices for the drivers.  I just
purchased one of the USB wifi devices for under 20 euros, so it is
possible.

good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: Contributing to drivers/staging area
@ 2021-08-27 16:56   ` Len Baker
From: Len Baker @ 2021-08-27 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Len Baker, linux-kernel, kernelnewbies

Hi Greg,

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 10:39:20AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 04:45:15PM +0200, Len Baker wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > I am a kernel newbie in the path to find an area where to contribute
> > on. I have sent some patches before (simple ones) but I would like
> > to find some driver to contribute on and if possible mantain in the
> > future. Due to the big amount of drivers in staging, and my lack
> > of experience and specific hardware:
> >
> > Are there any driver in the staging area that not requires specific
> > hardware? I have only access to an old laptop with 4 processors:
>
> I think all drivers in staging relate to real hardware, so I would
> recommend just buying one of the cheap devices for the drivers.  I just
> purchased one of the USB wifi devices for under 20 euros, so it is
> possible.

Ok, thank you very much for all the info and advices.
Again, thanks for your time.

Regards,
Len