From: Cyril Hrubis <chrubis@suse.cz>
To: kernel test robot <oliver.sang@intel.com>
Cc: Chi Wu <wuchi.zero@gmail.com>,
	Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi@redhat.com>, Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>,
	lkp@intel.com, lkp@lists.01.org,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>, Jens Axboe <axboe@fb.com>,
	Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com>, Tejun Heo <tj@kernel.org>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	ltp@lists.linux.it
Subject: Re: [LTP] [mm/page]  ab19939a6a: ltp.msync04.fail
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 10:11:22 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi!
> FYI, we noticed the following commit (built with gcc-9):
>
> commit: ab19939a6a5010cba4e9cb04dd8bee03c72edcbd ("mm/page-writeback: Fix performance when BDI's share of ratio is 0.")
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master
>

> in testcase: ltp
> version: ltp-x86_64-14c1f76-1_20210907
> with following parameters:
>
> 	disk: 1HDD
> 	fs: xfs
> 	test: syscalls-03
> 	ucode: 0xe2
>
> test-description: The LTP testsuite contains a collection of tools for testing the Linux kernel and related features.
> test-url: http://linux-test-project.github.io/

The msync04 test formats a device with a diffrent filesystems, for each
filesystem it maps a file, writes to the mapped page and the checks a
dirty bit in /proc/kpageflags before and after msync() on that page.

This seems to be broken after this patch for ntfs over FUSE and it looks
like the page does not have a dirty bit set right after it has been
written to.

Also I guess that we should increase the number of the pages we dirty or
attempt to retry since a single page may be flushed to the storage if we
are unlucky and the process is preempted between the write and the
initial check for the dirty bit.

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@suse.cz