From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
To: Long Li <longli@microsoft.com>
Cc: Bart Van Assche <bvanassche@acm.org>,
	"longli@linuxonhyperv.com" <longli@linuxonhyperv.com>,
	"linux-block@vger.kernel.org" <linux-block@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-hyperv@vger.kernel.org" <linux-hyperv@vger.kernel.org>,
	Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net>,
	KY Srinivasan <kys@microsoft.com>,
	Haiyang Zhang <haiyangz@microsoft.com>,
	Stephen Hemminger <sthemmin@microsoft.com>,
	Wei Liu <wei.liu@kernel.org>, Dexuan Cui <decui@microsoft.com>,
	Bjorn Andersson <bjorn.andersson@linaro.org>,
	Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>,
	"Williams, Dan J" <dan.j.williams@intel.com>,
	Maximilian Luz <luzmaximilian@gmail.com>,
	Mike Rapoport <rppt@kernel.org>,
	Ben Widawsky <ben.widawsky@intel.com>,
	Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@kernel.org>,
	Andra Paraschiv <andraprs@amazon.com>,
	Siddharth Gupta <sidgup@codeaurora.org>,
	Hannes Reinecke <hare@suse.de>
Subject: Re: [Patch v5 0/3] Introduce a driver to support host accelerated access to Microsoft Azure Blob for Azure VM
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 07:54:57 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 06:15:25PM +0000, Long Li wrote:
> > Subject: Re: [Patch v5 0/3] Introduce a driver to support host accelerated
> > access to Microsoft Azure Blob for Azure VM

> > MIT License (MIT)".

> > https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgi
> > > >
> > ub.com%2Fapache%2Fhadoop%2Fpull%2F3309%2Fcommits%2Fbe7d12662e2
> > > >
> > 3a13e6cf10cf1fa5e7eb109738e7d&amp;data=04%7C01%7Clongli%40microsof
> > > >
> > t.com%7C3acb68c5fd6144a1857908d97e247376%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7
> > > >
> > cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C637679518802561720%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb
> > > >
> > 3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0
> > Qrx
> >
> > Odd url :(

> > azure/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/fs/azurebfs/services/AbfsInput

> > > Hello Greg,
> > >
> > > I have shared the source code of the Blob client using this driver, and the
> > reason why the Azure Blob driver is not implemented through POSIX with file
> > system and Block layer.
> >
> > Please wrap your text lines...
> >
> > Anyway, no, you showed a client for this interface, but you did not explain
> > why this could not be implemented using a filesystem and block layer.  Only
> > that it is not what you did.
> >
> > > Blob APIs are specified in this doc:
> > >
> > https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs
> > > .microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Frest%2Fapi%2Fstorageservices%2Fblob-
> > service-r
> > > est-
> > api&amp;data=04%7C01%7Clongli%40microsoft.com%7C6a51f21c78a3413e63
> > >
> > 9d08d984ae2c58%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C6376
> > 867059
> > >
> > 24012728%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoi
> > V2luMzIiL
> > >
> > CJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=ZiWmZ%2FpuQHNn
> > dHNmnIWHO
> > > yrXPSscNBbR6RvSr%2FCBuEY%3D&amp;reserved=0
> > >
> > > The semantic of reading data from Blob is specified in this doc:
> > >
> > https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs
> > > .microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Frest%2Fapi%2Fstorageservices%2Fget-
> > blob&amp;d
> > >
> > ata=04%7C01%7Clongli%40microsoft.com%7C6a51f21c78a3413e639d08d984a
> > e2c5
> > >
> > 8%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C63768670592401272
> > 8%7CUn
> > >
> > known%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6
> > Ik1haW
> > >
> > wiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=xqUObAdYkFf8efSRuK%2FOXm%2
> > BRd%2FCiBI
> > > 0BjNfx9YpkGN0%3D&amp;reserved=0
> > >
> > > The source code I shared demonstrated how a Blob is read to Hadoop
> > through ABFS. In general, A Blob client can use any optional request headers
> > specified in the API suitable for its specific application. The Azure Blob service
> > is not designed to be POSIX compliant. I hope this answers your question on
> > why this driver is not implemented at file system or block layer.
> >

> > Again, you are saying "it is this way because we created it this way", which
> [...]

You are mixing up a lot of different things here all at once.

You are confusing the actions that a file server must implement with how
a userspace interface should look like for an in-kernel functionality.

Not to mention the whole crazy idea of "let's implement our REST api
that used to go over a network connection over an ioctl instead!"
That's the main problem that you need to push back on here.

What is forcing you to put all of this into the kernel in the first
place?  What's wrong with the userspace network connection/protocol that
you have today?

Does this mean that we now have to implement all REST apis that people
dream up as ioctl interfaces over a hyperv transport?  That would be
insane.

thanks,

greg k-h