On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 01:37:22PM -0600, madvenka@linux.microsoft.com wrote: > Introduce arch_stack_walk_reliable() for ARM64. This works like > arch_stack_walk() except that it returns -EINVAL if the stack trace is not > reliable. > Until all the reliability checks are in place, arch_stack_walk_reliable() > may not be used by livepatch. But it may be used by debug and test code. Probably also worth noting that this doesn't select HAVE_RELIABLE_STACKTRACE which is what any actual users are going to use to identify if the architecture has the feature. I would have been tempted to add arch_stack_walk() as a separate patch but equally having the user code there (even if it itself can't yet be used...) helps with reviewing the actual unwinder so I don't mind. > +static void unwind_check_reliability(struct task_struct *task, > + struct stackframe *frame) > +{ > + if (frame->fp == (unsigned long)task_pt_regs(task)->stackframe) { > + /* Final frame; no more unwind, no need to check reliability */ > + return; > + } If the unwinder carries on for some reason (the code for that is elsewhere and may be updated separately...) then this will start checking again. I'm not sure if this is a *problem* as such but the thing about this being the final frame coupled with not actually explicitly stopping the unwind here makes me think this should at least be clearer, the comment begs the question about what happens if something decides it is not in fact the final frame.