* Modules fixes for v5.17-rc5
@ 2022-02-16 23:03 Luis Chamberlain
From: Luis Chamberlain @ 2022-02-16 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Jessica Yu, Colin Ian King, Dmitry Torokhov, patches,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, linux-modules, Aaron Tomlin,
	Vimal Agrawal, Christophe Leroy, Michal Suchanek

Linus,

So far only one fix has trickled through for modules. It is part of this
pull request. It's a minor build fix for when CONFIG_SYSFS=n. Let me
know if there are any issues with this.

And just small heads up for v5.18 I'm actually not seeing anything quite
ready so you may not see any pull request for me then except for fixes.
There is quite a bit of development work for modules though, but nothing is
quite ready, and I want to get **tons** of testing done for that. But do
expect substantial changes for v5.19 though. There is work which you might
see for a v5.19 from Aaron, Christophe, Vimal and Michal, in that order. I'm
Cc'ing them just as a heads up to them as well in so far as my expectations
and test requirements. During v5.18 I expect modules-next to carry all
the pending changes and test the hell out of them on linux-next though.

The following changes since commit 3593030761630e09200072a4bd06468892c27be3:

  tty: n_tty: do not look ahead for EOL character past the end of the buffer (2022-02-16 10:13:23 -0800)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mcgrof/linux.git/ tags/modules-5.17-rc5

for you to fetch changes up to a8e8f851e8299703a005cf23dfb9ec854a2611e5:

  module: fix building with sysfs disabled (2022-02-16 12:51:32 -0800)

Fixes module decompression when CONFIG_SYSFS=n

The only fix trickled down for v5.17-rc cycle so far is
the fix for module decompression when CONFIG_SYSFS=n. This
was reported through 0-day.

Dmitry Torokhov (1):
      module: fix building with sysfs disabled

 kernel/module_decompress.c | 2 ++
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+)

* Re: Modules fixes for v5.17-rc5
@ 2022-02-17 19:33 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2022-02-17 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Chamberlain
  Cc: Jessica Yu, Colin Ian King, Dmitry Torokhov, patches,

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 3:03 PM Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@kernel.org> wrote:

> So far only one fix has trickled through for modules. It is part of this
> pull request. It's a minor build fix for when CONFIG_SYSFS=n. Let me
> know if there are any issues with this.

The only issue I have is that because you didn't put "[GIT PULL]" in
the subject line, the pr-tracker-bot doesn't pick up on it, so you're
not getting a "this has been merged" confirmation email.

My own search criteria for pull requests aren't as strict, so I saw it
in my pending queue. But then I spent time wondering why I didn't see
the pr-tracker-bot response when I pushed out, so I actually prefer
for people to use the stricter rules that the pr-tracker-bot looks
at...

                  Linus

* Re: Modules fixes for v5.17-rc5
@ 2022-02-17 22:20   ` Luis Chamberlain
From: Luis Chamberlain @ 2022-02-17 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Jessica Yu, Colin Ian King, Dmitry Torokhov, patches,

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 11:33:23AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 3:03 PM Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > So far only one fix has trickled through for modules. It is part of this
> > pull request. It's a minor build fix for when CONFIG_SYSFS=n. Let me
> > know if there are any issues with this.
>
> The only issue I have is that because you didn't put "[GIT PULL]" in
> the subject line, the pr-tracker-bot doesn't pick up on it, so you're
> not getting a "this has been merged" confirmation email.
>
> My own search criteria for pull requests aren't as strict, so I saw it
> in my pending queue. But then I spent time wondering why I didn't see
> the pr-tracker-bot response when I pushed out, so I actually prefer
> for people to use the stricter rules that the pr-tracker-bot looks
> at...

Got it, consider this a resolved matter for the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

  Luis