* Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-09 16:49 Laura Abbott
From: Laura Abbott @ 2021-09-09 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit, linux-kernel, tech-board-discuss

Hi,

Reminder that the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board (TAB) annual
election will be held virtually during the 2021 Kernel Summit and Linux
Plumbers Conference. Voting will run from September 20th to September
23rd 16:00 GMT-4 (US/Eastern). The voting criteria for the 2021 election
are:

There exist three kernel commits in a mainline or stable released
kernel that both
- Have a commit date in the year 2020 or 2021
- Contain an e-mail address in one of the following tags or merged
tags (e.g. Reviewed-and-tested-by)
-- Signed-off-by
-- Tested-by
-- Reported-by
-- Reviewed-by
-- Acked-by

If you have more than 50 commits that meet this requirement you will
receive a ballot automatically.

If you have between 3 and 49 commits that meet this requirement please
e-mail tab-elections@lists.linuxfoundation.org to request your ballot.
We strongly encourage everyone who meets this criteria to request a
ballot.

We will be using Condorcet Internet Voting
Service (CIVS) https://civs1.civs.us/ . This is a voting service
focused on security and privacy. There are sample polls on the
website if you would like to see what a ballot will look like.

If you have any questions please e-mail
tab-elections@lists.linuxfoundation.org.

Thanks,
Laura

P.S. Please also consider this another reminder to consider running for
the TAB as well

* Re: Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 13:58 ` Laura Abbott
From: Laura Abbott @ 2021-09-15 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit, linux-kernel, tech-board-discuss

On 9/9/21 12:49, Laura Abbott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Reminder that the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board (TAB) annual
> election will be held virtually during the 2021 Kernel Summit and Linux
> Plumbers Conference. Voting will run from September 20th to September
> 23rd 16:00 GMT-4 (US/Eastern). The voting criteria for the 2021 election
> are:
>
> There exist three kernel commits in a mainline or stable released
> kernel that both
> - Have a commit date in the year 2020 or 2021
> - Contain an e-mail address in one of the following tags or merged
> tags (e.g. Reviewed-and-tested-by)
> -- Signed-off-by
> -- Tested-by
> -- Reported-by
> -- Reviewed-by
> -- Acked-by
>
> If you have more than 50 commits that meet this requirement you will
> receive a ballot automatically.
>
> If you have between 3 and 49 commits that meet this requirement please
> e-mail tab-elections@lists.linuxfoundation.org to request your ballot.
> We strongly encourage everyone who meets this criteria to request a
> ballot.
>
> We will be using Condorcet Internet Voting
> Service (CIVS) https://civs1.civs.us/ . This is a voting service
> focused on security and privacy. There are sample polls on the
> website if you would like to see what a ballot will look like.
>
> If you have any questions please e-mail
> tab-elections@lists.linuxfoundation.org.
>
> Thanks,
> Laura
>
> P.S. Please also consider this another reminder to consider running for
> the TAB as well

Final reminder: please remember to request your ballot for the TAB
elections. If you know others who are eligible please encourage
them to request a ballot as well.

* Re: Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 14:07   ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2021-09-15 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Abbott; +Cc: ksummit, linux-kernel, tech-board-discuss

Hi Laura,

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 09:58:32AM -0400, Laura Abbott wrote:
> On 9/9/21 12:49, Laura Abbott wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Reminder that the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board (TAB) annual
> > election will be held virtually during the 2021 Kernel Summit and Linux
> > Plumbers Conference. Voting will run from September 20th to September
> > 23rd 16:00 GMT-4 (US/Eastern). The voting criteria for the 2021 election
> > are:
> >
> > There exist three kernel commits in a mainline or stable released
> > kernel that both
> > - Have a commit date in the year 2020 or 2021
> > - Contain an e-mail address in one of the following tags or merged
> > tags (e.g. Reviewed-and-tested-by)
> > -- Signed-off-by
> > -- Tested-by
> > -- Reported-by
> > -- Reviewed-by
> > -- Acked-by
> >
> > If you have more than 50 commits that meet this requirement you will
> > receive a ballot automatically.
> >
> > If you have between 3 and 49 commits that meet this requirement please
> > e-mail tab-elections@lists.linuxfoundation.org to request your ballot.
> > We strongly encourage everyone who meets this criteria to request a
> > ballot.
> >
> > We will be using Condorcet Internet Voting
> > Service (CIVS) https://civs1.civs.us/ . This is a voting service
> > focused on security and privacy. There are sample polls on the
> > website if you would like to see what a ballot will look like.
> >
> > If you have any questions please e-mail
> > tab-elections@lists.linuxfoundation.org.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Laura
> >
> > P.S. Please also consider this another reminder to consider running for
> > the TAB as well
>
> Final reminder: please remember to request your ballot for the TAB
> elections. If you know others who are eligible please encourage
> them to request a ballot as well.

When are the ballots supposed to be sent ? It would be nice to avoid
requiring everybody to check whether they're below or above the 50
commits threshold manually :-)

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 14:36     ` Laura Abbott
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Laura Abbott @ 2021-09-15 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart; +Cc: ksummit, linux-kernel, tech-board-discuss

On 9/15/21 10:07, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Laura,
>
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 09:58:32AM -0400, Laura Abbott wrote:
>> On 9/9/21 12:49, Laura Abbott wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Reminder that the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board (TAB) annual
>>> election will be held virtually during the 2021 Kernel Summit and Linux
>>> Plumbers Conference. Voting will run from September 20th to September
>>> 23rd 16:00 GMT-4 (US/Eastern). The voting criteria for the 2021 election
>>> are:
>>>
>>> There exist three kernel commits in a mainline or stable released
>>> kernel that both
>>> - Have a commit date in the year 2020 or 2021
>>> - Contain an e-mail address in one of the following tags or merged
>>> tags (e.g. Reviewed-and-tested-by)
>>> -- Signed-off-by
>>> -- Tested-by
>>> -- Reported-by
>>> -- Reviewed-by
>>> -- Acked-by
>>>
>>> If you have more than 50 commits that meet this requirement you will
>>> receive a ballot automatically.
>>>
>>> If you have between 3 and 49 commits that meet this requirement please
>>> e-mail tab-elections@lists.linuxfoundation.org to request your ballot.
>>> We strongly encourage everyone who meets this criteria to request a
>>> ballot.
>>>
>>> We will be using Condorcet Internet Voting
>>> Service (CIVS) https://civs1.civs.us/ . This is a voting service
>>> focused on security and privacy. There are sample polls on the
>>> website if you would like to see what a ballot will look like.
>>>
>>> If you have any questions please e-mail
>>> tab-elections@lists.linuxfoundation.org.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Laura
>>>
>>> P.S. Please also consider this another reminder to consider running for
>>> the TAB as well
>>
>> Final reminder: please remember to request your ballot for the TAB
>> elections. If you know others who are eligible please encourage
>> them to request a ballot as well.
>
> When are the ballots supposed to be sent ? It would be nice to avoid
> requiring everybody to check whether they're below or above the 50
> commits threshold manually :-)

The ballots will be sent sometime after Monday September 20th
9:00am GMT-4 (US/Eastern).

I did make an attempt to send e-mails to the > 50 commits individuals
but there is a chance my e-mail got eaten by spam filters or just
didn't get sent out. I discovered Google Apps' e-mail limits and
that you should not attempt to bcc too many people. This is something
I'd like to handle in a more automated fashion next year to make
it easier for both voters and those running the elections.

Thanks,
Laura

* Re: Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 14:39       ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2021-09-15 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Abbott, Laurent Pinchart; +Cc: ksummit, linux-kernel, tech-board-discuss

On Wed, 2021-09-15 at 10:36 -0400, Laura Abbott wrote:
> On 9/15/21 10:07, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > Hi Laura,

> > > Final reminder: please remember to request your ballot for the
> > > TAB
> > > elections. If you know others who are eligible please encourage
> > > them to request a ballot as well.
> >
> > When are the ballots supposed to be sent ? It would be nice to
> > avoid
> > requiring everybody to check whether they're below or above the 50
> > commits threshold manually :-)
> >

> The ballots will be sent sometime after Monday September 20th
> 9:00am GMT-4 (US/Eastern).
>
> I did make an attempt to send e-mails to the > 50 commits individuals
> but there is a chance my e-mail got eaten by spam filters or just
> didn't get sent out. I discovered Google Apps' e-mail limits and
> that you should not attempt to bcc too many people. This is something
> I'd like to handle in a more automated fashion next year to make
> it easier for both voters and those running the elections.

You're welcome to my bulk email scripts I use for Plumbers.  They
*should* work with any SMTP server but, obviously, I've only tested
them with my hansenpartnership.com one.

James

* Re: Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 14:46       ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2021-09-15 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Abbott; +Cc: ksummit, linux-kernel, tech-board-discuss

Hi Laura,

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 10:36:45AM -0400, Laura Abbott wrote:
> On 9/15/21 10:07, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> Final reminder: please remember to request your ballot for the TAB
> >> elections. If you know others who are eligible please encourage
> >> them to request a ballot as well.
> >
> > When are the ballots supposed to be sent ? It would be nice to avoid
> > requiring everybody to check whether they're below or above the 50
> > commits threshold manually :-)
>
> The ballots will be sent sometime after Monday September 20th
> 9:00am GMT-4 (US/Eastern).
>
> I did make an attempt to send e-mails to the > 50 commits individuals
> but there is a chance my e-mail got eaten by spam filters or just
> didn't get sent out. I discovered Google Apps' e-mail limits and
> that you should not attempt to bcc too many people. This is something
> I'd like to handle in a more automated fashion next year to make
> it easier for both voters and those running the elections.

Does it mean I should ask for a ballot after the 20th if I don't get
one, or request one *before* ? I meet the above criteria but haven't
received any ballot yet, so I was unsure whether I should ask or wait.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 15:49       ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2021-09-15 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Abbott, Laurent Pinchart; +Cc: ksummit, linux-kernel, tech-board-discuss

On Wed, 2021-09-15 at 10:36 -0400, Laura Abbott wrote:

> I did make an attempt to send e-mails to the > 50 commits individuals

So if we got the "look for your ballot" email from you, that means we're
on the list?

I agree with Laurent, it's a bit confusing now to figure out whether we
should request or not, and if we have to request before the automated
ones are sent out, we can't wait for that either.

I'm sure I'm on the list, but I guess others aren't quite so sure.

johannes

* Re: Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 16:07         ` Laura Abbott
From: Laura Abbott @ 2021-09-15 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart; +Cc: ksummit, linux-kernel, tech-board-discuss

On 9/15/21 10:46, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Laura,
>
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 10:36:45AM -0400, Laura Abbott wrote:

>>> When are the ballots supposed to be sent ? It would be nice to avoid
>>> requiring everybody to check whether they're below or above the 50
>>> commits threshold manually :-)
>>
>> The ballots will be sent sometime after Monday September 20th
>> 9:00am GMT-4 (US/Eastern).
>>
>> I did make an attempt to send e-mails to the > 50 commits individuals
>> but there is a chance my e-mail got eaten by spam filters or just
>> didn't get sent out. I discovered Google Apps' e-mail limits and
>> that you should not attempt to bcc too many people. This is something
>> I'd like to handle in a more automated fashion next year to make
>> it easier for both voters and those running the elections.
>
> Does it mean I should ask for a ballot after the 20th if I don't get
> one, or request one *before* ? I meet the above criteria but haven't
> received any ballot yet, so I was unsure whether I should ask or wait.

The intention was that if you were in the range of between 3-49 commits
you would ask for a ballot now.

Thanks,
Laura

* Re: Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 16:11         ` Laura Abbott
From: Laura Abbott @ 2021-09-15 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg, Laurent Pinchart; +Cc: ksummit, linux-kernel, tech-board-discuss

On 9/15/21 11:49, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-09-15 at 10:36 -0400, Laura Abbott wrote:
>>
>> I did make an attempt to send e-mails to the > 50 commits individuals
>
> So if we got the "look for your ballot" email from you, that means we're
> on the list?
>
> I agree with Laurent, it's a bit confusing now to figure out whether we
> should request or not, and if we have to request before the automated
> ones are sent out, we can't wait for that either.
>
> I'm sure I'm on the list, but I guess others aren't quite so sure.
>
> johannes

You should only request a ballot if you think you have between
3-49 commits. I agree this is a bit confusing and this should
have been worded better and we'll make sure to do better next
year.

Thanks,
Laura

* Re: Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 16:12           ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2021-09-15 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Abbott, Laurent Pinchart; +Cc: ksummit, linux-kernel, tech-board-discuss

On Wed, 2021-09-15 at 12:11 -0400, Laura Abbott wrote:

> You should only request a ballot if you think you have between
> 3-49 commits. I agree this is a bit confusing and this should
> have been worded better and we'll make sure to do better next
> year.

Oh, I think this was clear - but someone might e.g. have 60 commits
spread between multiple email addresses, and not be sure how you
counted, etc.

johannes

* Re: Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 16:13           ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2021-09-15 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Abbott; +Cc: ksummit, linux-kernel, tech-board-discuss

Hi Laura,

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 12:07:13PM -0400, Laura Abbott wrote:
> On 9/15/21 10:46, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> The ballots will be sent sometime after Monday September 20th
> >> 9:00am GMT-4 (US/Eastern).
> >>
> >> I did make an attempt to send e-mails to the > 50 commits individuals
> >> but there is a chance my e-mail got eaten by spam filters or just
> >> didn't get sent out. I discovered Google Apps' e-mail limits and
> >> that you should not attempt to bcc too many people. This is something
> >> I'd like to handle in a more automated fashion next year to make
> >> it easier for both voters and those running the elections.
> >
> > Does it mean I should ask for a ballot after the 20th if I don't get
> > one, or request one *before* ? I meet the above criteria but haven't
> > received any ballot yet, so I was unsure whether I should ask or wait.
>
> The intention was that if you were in the range of between 3-49 commits
> you would ask for a ballot now.

Would it be possible to share the script that you are using to check in
which category a developer is, to avoid the criteria being applied in
slightly different ways ?

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: [Tech-board-discuss] Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 19:34             ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2021-09-15 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart, Laura Abbott
  Cc: ksummit, tech-board-discuss, linux-kernel, Shuah Khan

On 9/15/21 10:13 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Laura,
>
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 12:07:13PM -0400, Laura Abbott wrote:

>>> Does it mean I should ask for a ballot after the 20th if I don't get
>>> one, or request one *before* ? I meet the above criteria but haven't
>>> received any ballot yet, so I was unsure whether I should ask or wait.
>>
>> The intention was that if you were in the range of between 3-49 commits
>> you would ask for a ballot now.
>
> Would it be possible to share the script that you are using to check in
> which category a developer is, to avoid the criteria being applied in
> slightly different ways ?

Same request. Is this the same script that gets used to determine candidate
eligibility before they get added to the ballot?

thanks,
-- Shuah

* Re: [Tech-board-discuss] Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 20:42               ` Laura Abbott
From: Laura Abbott @ 2021-09-15 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan, Laurent Pinchart
  Cc: ksummit, tech-board-discuss, linux-kernel, Johannes Berg

On 9/15/21 15:34, Shuah Khan wrote:
> On 9/15/21 10:13 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>> Hi Laura,

>>> The intention was that if you were in the range of between 3-49 commits
>>> you would ask for a ballot now.
>>
>> Would it be possible to share the script that you are using to check in
>> which category a developer is, to avoid the criteria being applied in
>> slightly different ways ?
>>

> Same request. Is this the same script that gets used to determine candidate
> eligibility before they get added to the ballot?
>
> thanks,
> -- Shuah

You can thank Kees for the script

https://github.com/kees/kernel-tools/blob/trunk/identity-canonicalizer

This is the same script for both voting and nomination

The set generated is

# Find people participating in 50+ commits since 2020-01-01:
git log --since=2020-01-01 | ~/bin/identity-canonicalizer | sort -g >
contributors.txt
cat contributors.txt | awk '{if ($1 > 2) {print $0}}' >eligible.txt
cat eligible.txt | awk '{if ($1 > 49) {print $0}}' >ballots.txt

* Re: [Tech-board-discuss] Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 21:11                 ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2021-09-15 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Abbott, Laurent Pinchart
  Cc: ksummit, tech-board-discuss, linux-kernel, Johannes Berg, Shuah Khan

On 9/15/21 2:42 PM, Laura Abbott wrote:
> On 9/15/21 15:34, Shuah Khan wrote:
>> On 9/15/21 10:13 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>>> Hi Laura,

>>> Would it be possible to share the script that you are using to check in
>>> which category a developer is, to avoid the criteria being applied in
>>> slightly different ways ?
>>>

>> Same request. Is this the same script that gets used to determine candidate
>> eligibility before they get added to the ballot?
>>
>> thanks,
>> -- Shuah
>
> You can thank Kees for the script
>
> https://github.com/kees/kernel-tools/blob/trunk/identity-canonicalizer
>
> This is the same script for both voting and nomination
>
> The set generated is
>
> # Find people participating in 50+ commits since 2020-01-01:
> git log --since=2020-01-01 | ~/bin/identity-canonicalizer | sort -g > contributors.txt
> cat contributors.txt | awk '{if ($1 > 2) {print $0}}' >eligible.txt
> cat eligible.txt | awk '{if ($1 > 49) {print $0}}' >ballots.txt

So people that this script spits out are the ones that are
eligible for the following:

-- get added to the ballot if they sent in the nomination
-- get sent a ballot by Sept 20th for voting

Also does this criteria get applied to TAB Chair/co-Chair election
going forward?

thanks,
-- Shuah

* Re: [Tech-board-discuss] Reminder: Voting procedures for the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board
@ 2021-09-15 21:20                   ` Laura Abbott
From: Laura Abbott @ 2021-09-15 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan, Laurent Pinchart
  Cc: ksummit, tech-board-discuss, linux-kernel, Johannes Berg

On 9/15/21 17:11, Shuah Khan wrote:
> On 9/15/21 2:42 PM, Laura Abbott wrote:

>>> Same request. Is this the same script that gets used to determine
>>> candidate
>>> eligibility before they get added to the ballot?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> -- Shuah
>>
>> You can thank Kees for the script
>>
>> https://github.com/kees/kernel-tools/blob/trunk/identity-canonicalizer
>>
>> This is the same script for both voting and nomination
>>
>> The set generated is
>>
>> # Find people participating in 50+ commits since 2020-01-01:
>> git log --since=2020-01-01 | ~/bin/identity-canonicalizer | sort -g >
>> contributors.txt
>> cat contributors.txt | awk '{if ($1 > 2) {print $0}}' >eligible.txt
>> cat eligible.txt | awk '{if ($1 > 49) {print $0}}' >ballots.txt
>
> So people that this script spits out are the ones that are
> eligible for the following:
>
> -- get added to the ballot if they sent in the nomination
> -- get sent a ballot by Sept 20th for voting

eligible.txt would be all people who can potentially vote. This is also
the set of people who can submit a nomination.

ballots.txt is all people who would be sent a ballot automatically.
If you are in eligible.txt but not in ballots.txt you may request
a ballot.

> Also does this criteria get applied to TAB Chair/co-Chair election
> going forward?

It does not.

Thanks,
Laura