* test case against union aliasing
@ 2018-02-27 11:20 Andy Shevchenko
From: Andy Shevchenko @ 2018-02-27 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: Lukas Wunner, linux-kernel

Hi!

It seems we have some code in kernel which utilizes (rightlessly for
now) union aliasing.

So, can we create a test case against such? (Three steps: a) replace
union by struct keyword in data type in question, b) compile, c) run in
Qemu with proper functional test)

Does it make any sense?

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@linux.intel.com>
Intel Finland Oy

* Re: test case against union aliasing
@ 2018-02-27 13:30 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2018-02-27 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Shevchenko; +Cc: Lukas Wunner, linux-kernel

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It seems we have some code in kernel which utilizes (rightlessly for
> now) union aliasing.
>
> So, can we create a test case against such? (Three steps: a) replace
> union by struct keyword in data type in question, b) compile, c) run in
> Qemu with proper functional test)
>
> Does it make any sense?

I think so.  If you want to do it more safely than with sed, it should be
possible with Coccinelle, with just

@@
identifier i;
@@