Andi, On Thu, 21 Mar 2019, Andi Kleen wrote: > With gcc 8 toplevel assembler statements that do not mark themselves > as .text may end up in other sections. Which is clearly a change in behaviour. Is that intended or just yet another feature of GCC? Your subject says: 'x86, lto:' So is this a LTO related problem or is the section randomization independent of LTO? This wants to be clearly documented in the changelog. Aside of that the proper Subject prefix is either: x86/asm/lto: or x86/asm: dependent on the nature. Like it or not, but this has been the prefix x86 uses for a very long time already. > I had boot crashes because > various assembler statements ended up in the middle of the initcall > section. > > Always mark all the top level assembler statements as text > so that they switch to the right section. > > For AMD "vide", which is only used on 32bit kernels, I also > marked it as 32bit only. Once more. See https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html#describe-your-changes "Describe your changes in imperative mood, e.g. “make xyzzy do frotz” instead of “[This patch] makes xyzzy do frotz” or “[I] changed xyzzy to do frotz”, as if you are giving orders to the codebase to change its behaviour." This is the last time, I'm asking for this. Thanks, tglx