* [Help] : RSS/PSS showing 0 during smaps for Xorg
       [not found] <1327310360.96918.YahooMailNeo@web162003.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>
@ 2012-01-23 10:15 ` PINTU KUMAR
From: PINTU KUMAR @ 2012-01-23 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-mm

Dear All,

I am facing one problem for one of my kernel module for our linux mobile with kernel2.6.36.

When I do cat /proc/<Xorg pid>/smaps | grep -A 11 /dev/ump , to track information for my ump module,
we always get Rss/Pss as 0 kB as shown below:
cat /proc/1731/smaps | grep -A 11 /dev/ump
414db000-415ff000 rw-s 00015000 00:12 6803       /dev/ump
Size:               1168 kB
Rss:                   0 kB
Pss:                   0 kB
track_rss_value = 0, iswalkcalled = 1, smap_pte_range_called = 1, swap_pte = 0, not_pte_present = 0, not_normal_page = 1
isspecial = 0, not_special = 1, isMixedMap = 0, pfnpages_null = 0, pfnoff_flag = 0, not_cow_mapping = 1, normal_page_end = 0

After tracing down the problem, I found out that during "show_smaps" in fs/proc/task_mmu.c and during call to smaps_pte_range the vm_normal_page() is always returning NULL for our /dev/ump driver.
(smaps_pte_range() is the place where Rss/Pss information is populated)
Thus mss->resident (Rss value) is never getting incremented.

To trace the problem I added few flags during show_smaps & vm_normal_page() as shown above. The value of 1 indicates that the condition is executed.
Thus "normal_page_end" indicates that the "vm_normal_page" has never ended successfully and always returns from
"!is_cow_mapping()".

So, I wanted to know the main cause for vm_normal_page() always returning NULL page for our ump driver.
What is that I am missing in my driver ?

Can anyone please let me know what could be the problem in our driver.

Thanks.

With Regards,
Pintu

* Re: [Help] : RSS/PSS showing 0 during smaps for Xorg
@ 2012-01-23 19:31   ` Hugh Dickins
From: Hugh Dickins @ 2012-01-23 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PINTU KUMAR; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-mm

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012, PINTU KUMAR wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am facing one problem for one of my kernel module for our linux mobile with kernel2.6.36.
>
> When I do cat /proc/<Xorg pid>/smaps | grep -A 11 /dev/ump , to track information for my ump module,
> we always get Rss/Pss as 0 kB as shown below:
> cat /proc/1731/smaps | grep -A 11 /dev/ump
> 414db000-415ff000 rw-s 00015000 00:12 6803       /dev/ump
> Size:               1168 kB
> Rss:                   0 kB
> Pss:                   0 kB
> track_rss_value = 0, iswalkcalled = 1, smap_pte_range_called = 1, swap_pte = 0, not_pte_present = 0, not_normal_page = 1
> isspecial = 0, not_special = 1, isMixedMap = 0, pfnpages_null = 0, pfnoff_flag = 0, not_cow_mapping = 1, normal_page_end = 0
>
> After tracing down the problem, I found out that during "show_smaps" in fs/proc/task_mmu.c and during call to smaps_pte_range the vm_normal_page() is always returning NULL for our /dev/ump driver.
> (smaps_pte_range() is the place where Rss/Pss information is populated)
> Thus mss->resident (Rss value) is never getting incremented.
>
> To trace the problem I added few flags during show_smaps & vm_normal_page() as shown above. The value of 1 indicates that the condition is executed.
> Thus "normal_page_end" indicates that the "vm_normal_page" has never ended successfully and always returns from
> "!is_cow_mapping()".
>
> So, I wanted to know the main cause for vm_normal_page() always returning NULL page for our ump driver.
> What is that I am missing in my driver ?
>
> Can anyone please let me know what could be the problem in our driver.

This not evidence of any problem in your driver.

vm_normal_page() returns NULL because the pages mapped by your driver
are not normal faultable and reclaimable pages, but an area of physical
memory mapped in by remap_pfn_range(), which sets the VM_PFNMAP flag.

The mm subsystem does not count such pages towards rss (or pss),
hence your 0s.

Hugh

* Re: [Help] : RSS/PSS showing 0 during smaps for Xorg
@ 2012-01-25  5:22     ` PINTU KUMAR
From: PINTU KUMAR @ 2012-01-25  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugh Dickins; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-mm

________________________________

Dear Mr. Hugh,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Is there a way to convert our mapped pages to a normal pages. I tried pfn_to_page() but no effect.
I mean the page is considered normal only if it is associated with "struct page" right???
Is is possible to convert these pages to a normal struct pages so that we can get the Rss/Pss value??

Also, the VM_PFNMAP is being set for all dirvers during remap_pfn_range and stills shows Rss/Pss for other drivers.
Then why it is not shown for our driver?
How to avoid remap_pfn_range to not to set VM_PFNMAP for our driver?

Please let me know.

Thanks, Regards,

@ 2012-01-26  0:59       ` Hugh Dickins
From: Hugh Dickins @ 2012-01-26  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PINTU KUMAR; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-mm

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012, PINTU KUMAR wrote:

> Is there a way to convert our mapped pages to a normal pages. I tried pfn_to_page() but no effect.
> I mean the page is considered normal only if it is associated with "struct page" right???
> Is is possible to convert these pages to a normal struct pages so that we can get the Rss/Pss value??

I don't understand why you are so anxious to see non-0 numbers there.

I don't know if the pages you are mapping with remap_pfn_range() are
ordinary pages in normal memory, and so already have struct pages, or not.

> Also, the VM_PFNMAP is being set for all dirvers during remap_pfn_range and stills shows Rss/Pss for other drivers.

I'm surprised.  It is possible to set up a private-writable VM_PFNMAP area,
which can then contain ordinary private copies of the underlying pages,
and these copies will count to Rss.  But I thought that was very unusual.

You don't mention which drivers these are that use remap_pfn_range yet
show Rss (and I don't particularly want to spend time researching them).

I can see three or four places in drivers/ where VM_PFNMAP is set,
perhaps without going through remap_pfn_range(): that seems prone
to error, I wouldn't recommend going that route.

> Then why it is not shown for our driver?
> How to avoid remap_pfn_range to not to set VM_PFNMAP for our driver?

If these are ordinary pages with struct pages, then you could probably
use a loop of vm_insert_page()s to insert them at mmap time, or a fault
routine to insert them on fault.  But as I said, I don't know if this
memory is part of the ordinary page pool or not.

Really, the question has to be, why do you need to see non-0s there?

Hugh

* Re: [Help] : RSS/PSS showing 0 during smaps for Xorg
@ 2012-01-30  8:42         ` PINTU KUMAR
From: PINTU KUMAR @ 2012-01-30  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugh Dickins; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-mm

Dear Hugh Dickins,

Thank you very much for your reply.

>If these are ordinary pages with struct pages, then you could probably
>use a loop of vm_insert_page()s to insert them at mmap time, or a fault
>routine to insert them on fault.  But as I said, I don't know if this
>memory is part of the ordinary page pool or not.

You suggestion about using vm_insert_page() instead of remap_pfn_range worked for me and I got the Rss/Pss information for my driver.
But still there is one problem related to page fault.
If I remove remap_pfn_range then I get a page fault in the beginning.
I tried to use the same vm_insert_page() during page_fault_handler for each vmf->virtual_address but it did not work.
So for time being I remove the page fault handler from my vm_operations.
But with these my menu screen(LCD screen) is not behaving properly (I get colorful lines on my LCD).
So I need to handle the page fault properly.

But I am not sure what is that I need to do inside page fault handler. Do you have any example or references or suggestions?

>Really, the question has to be, why do you need to see non-0s there?
I want Rss/Pss value to account for how much video memory is used by the driver for the menu-screen,Xorg processes.

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2012-01-30 18:49           ` Hugh Dickins
From: Hugh Dickins @ 2012-01-30 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PINTU KUMAR; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-mm

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, PINTU KUMAR wrote:

> >If these are ordinary pages with struct pages, then you could probably
> >use a loop of vm_insert_page()s to insert them at mmap time, or a fault
> >routine to insert them on fault.  But as I said, I don't know if this
> >memory is part of the ordinary page pool or not.
>
> You suggestion about using vm_insert_page() instead of remap_pfn_range worked for me and I got the Rss/Pss information for my driver.

Oh, I'm glad that happened to work for you.

> But still there is one problem related to page fault.
> If I remove remap_pfn_range then I get a page fault in the beginning.
> I tried to use the same vm_insert_page() during page_fault_handler for each vmf->virtual_address but it did not work.
> So for time being I remove the page fault handler from my vm_operations.
> But with these my menu screen(LCD screen) is not behaving properly (I get colorful lines on my LCD).
> So I need to handle the page fault properly.
>
> But I am not sure what is that I need to do inside page fault handler. Do you have any example or references or suggestions?

Sounds like you're not using vm_insert_page() properly: I would not expect
you to get a page fault there once you've set up the area with a loop of
vm_insert_page()s.

Check the comments above it in mm/memory.c ("Your vma protection will
have to be set up correctly" might be relevant).

Compare how you're using it with other users of vm_insert_page() in
the kernel tree.  Sorry, I don't have time to do your debugging.

> >Really, the question has to be, why do you need to see non-0s there?
> I want Rss/Pss value to account for how much video memory is used by the driver for the menu-screen,Xorg processes.

So, userspace does an mmap for a large-enough window, but only some part of
that is filled by the driver (whether by remap_pfn_range or vm_insert_pages),
and you'd like to communicate back how much via the Rss, instead of adding
some ioctl or sysfs interface to the driver?  Fair enough.

I expect userspace could also work it out by touching pages of the area
until it gets a SIGBUS, but that might be too dirty a way of finding out.

Hmm, SIGBUS: maybe that's related to the faults that are puzzling you:
perhaps you're mapping less than you need to.

Hugh

* Re: [Help] : RSS/PSS showing 0 during smaps for Xorg
@ 2012-02-01 14:49             ` PINTU KUMAR
From: PINTU KUMAR @ 2012-02-01 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugh Dickins; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-mm

Dear Hugh,

Thank you for your help/suggestion so far.

Please find further updates on this below.

>Sounds like you're not using vm_insert_page() properly: I would not expect
>you to get a page fault there once you've set up the area with a loop of
>vm_insert_page()s.
>perhaps you're mapping less than you need to.

1)  The page fault is not occuring now after calling vm_insert_page() in a loop for every page. The hint about "mapping less than you need to" stricked me. Please check the snapshot below.
     loop
        vm_insert_page(vma,start,page);
        start = start + PAGE_SIZE;
        size = size - PAGE_SIZE;
    until size > 0

    I verified other drivers in kernel code and found this is how it is done.

2)  But after doing all this also my menu-screen is not proper. Still I am getting colorful lines on the menu-screen.
     Can you point me out what could be the problem??

Thanks, Regards,
Pintu

@ 2012-02-02  5:20               ` Hugh Dickins
From: Hugh Dickins @ 2012-02-02  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)