* Re: make xconfig & qt
@ 2003-05-03 18:40   ` Balram Adlakha
From: Balram Adlakha @ 2003-05-03 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Calleja García; +Cc: Daniele Pala, linux-kernel

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 08:41:09PM +0200, Diego Calleja García wrote:
> On Sat, 03 May 2003 21:44:40 +0200
> Daniele Pala <dandario@libero.it> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > Sorry for the pretty OT and stupid question, but i just started getting
> > interested in the linux kernel, so i downloaded kernel 2.5.68. Trying to
> > run 'make xconfig' i got into the message 'you don't have installed
> > qt!'...so the xconfig is now dependant from qt? why? what about us poor
> > guy who only use twm and not kde? isn't qt pretty big and fat? ah well,
> > falling back to menuconfig...
>
> make gconfig?
>

> -

I think xconfig should be the "X" based one, qconfig should be the qt
based one and gconfig should be the gtk one. Who maintains the Makefile
and the scripts in scrips/kconfig?

* Re: make xconfig & qt
@ 2003-05-03 18:41 ` Diego Calleja García
From: Diego Calleja García @ 2003-05-03 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniele Pala; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 03 May 2003 21:44:40 +0200
Daniele Pala <dandario@libero.it> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Sorry for the pretty OT and stupid question, but i just started getting
> interested in the linux kernel, so i downloaded kernel 2.5.68. Trying to
> run 'make xconfig' i got into the message 'you don't have installed
> qt!'...so the xconfig is now dependant from qt? why? what about us poor
> guy who only use twm and not kde? isn't qt pretty big and fat? ah well,
> falling back to menuconfig...

make gconfig?

* make xconfig & qt
@ 2003-05-03 19:44 Daniele Pala
From: Daniele Pala @ 2003-05-03 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello.

Sorry for the pretty OT and stupid question, but i just started getting
interested in the linux kernel, so i downloaded kernel 2.5.68. Trying to
run 'make xconfig' i got into the message 'you don't have installed
qt!'...so the xconfig is now dependant from qt? why? what about us poor
guy who only use twm and not kde? isn't qt pretty big and fat? ah well,
falling back to menuconfig...

thanks for your patience.

* Re: make xconfig & qt
@ 2003-05-03 22:07 ` Kevin Puetz
From: Kevin Puetz @ 2003-05-03 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Daniele Pala wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Sorry for the pretty OT and stupid question, but i just started getting
> interested in the linux kernel, so i downloaded kernel 2.5.68. Trying to
> run 'make xconfig' i got into the message 'you don't have installed
> qt!'...so the xconfig is now dependant from qt? why? what about us poor

Yes, it was rewritten in 2.5 to not suck quite as bad, and now uses Qt.

> guy who only use twm and not kde? isn't qt pretty big and fat? ah well,

Qt != KDE. You only need Qt installed for this. Qt is rather smaller than
the kernel source anyway :-)

I think there's a GTK-based configurator around somewhere too, and you could
probably rewrite a Tk one if so inclined... the configuration actually uses
a library now, so the frontends are decently independent.

> falling back to menuconfig...

Exactly, you still have menuconfig :-)

> thanks for your patience.

* Re: make xconfig & qt
@ 2003-05-04  6:42     ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2003-05-04  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balram Adlakha; +Cc: Diego Calleja García, Daniele Pala, linux-kernel

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 12:10:10AM +0530, Balram Adlakha wrote:

> I think xconfig should be the "X" based one, qconfig should be the qt
> based one and gconfig should be the gtk one.
There are two grapical frontends. The qt based and the gtk based.
Feel free to contribute with a third ;-)

	Sam