* wwan/iosm vs. xmm7360
@ 2021-08-05 20:39 Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2021-08-05 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Chetan,

at the risk of having missed this being answered already:

How close is the older xmm7360 to the now supported xmm7560 in mainline?

There is that reverse engineered PCI driver [1] with non-standard
userland interface, and it would obviously be great to benefit from
common infrastructure and specifically the modem-manager compatible
interface. Is this realistic to achieve for the 7360, or is that
hardware or its firmware too different?

Thanks,
Jan

[1] https://github.com/xmm7360/xmm7360-pci

--
Siemens AG, T RDA IOT

* Re: wwan/iosm vs. xmm7360
@ 2021-08-06  9:29 ` Kumar, M Chetan
From: Kumar, M Chetan @ 2021-08-06  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jan,

What is the context of this request ?

FYI, the driver upstreamed is for M.2 7560.

Regards,
Chetan

@ 2021-08-06  9:41   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2021-08-06  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06.08.21 11:29, Kumar, M Chetan wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> What is the context of this request ?

The context is that there are many folks out there (me included - Lenovo
P52) with devices that have the xmm-7360 built-in, can't switch it to
USB mode (prevented by OEM), and currently require [1]. That kind of
works but is not really the final solution. So I also kicked off [2] there.

> FYI, the driver upstreamed is for M.2 7560.

I know. I'm not an expert on the details, but reading the overall
architectures of the IOSM and what has been reverse-engineered for the
7360, there seem to be some similarities. So, maybe you can explain to
the community if that is a reasonable path to upstream 7360 support, or
if at least the pattern of the 7560 could/should be transferred to the
7360 driver.

Thanks,
Jan

[2] https://github.com/xmm7360/xmm7360-pci/issues/104

@ 2021-09-07 18:01     ` Florian Klink
From: Florian Klink @ 2021-09-07 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka

On 21-08-06 11:41:27, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>On 06.08.21 11:29, Kumar, M Chetan wrote:
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> What is the context of this request ?
>
>The context is that there are many folks out there (me included - Lenovo
>P52) with devices that have the xmm-7360 built-in, can't switch it to
>USB mode (prevented by OEM), and currently require [1]. That kind of
>works but is not really the final solution. So I also kicked off [2] there.

It also seems the 7560 card doesn't show up in my X13 AMD (Gen 1) at all
- so even if I'd "upgrade" that card, I couldn't use it.

>I know. I'm not an expert on the details, but reading the overall
>architectures of the IOSM and what has been reverse-engineered for the
>7360, there seem to be some similarities. So, maybe you can explain to
>the community if that is a reasonable path to upstream 7360 support, or
>if at least the pattern of the 7560 could/should be transferred to the
>7360 driver.

Very curious about this as well - they might share some code at lest, if
not even the driver?

Regards,
Florian

--