On 14.07.21 15:21, Vitaly Kuznetsov wrote: > Juergen Gross writes: > >> On 14.07.21 13:45, Vitaly Kuznetsov wrote: >> >>> Personally, I'd vote for introducing a 'ratio' parameter then so >>> generally users will only have to set 'kvm.max_vcpus'. >> >> Okay. >> >> Default '4' then? Or '2 ^ (topology_levels - 2)' (assuming a >> topology_level of 3 on Intel: thread/core/socket and 4 on EPYC: >> thread/core/package/socket). > > I'd suggest we default to '4' for both Intel and AMD as we haven't given > up completely on cross-vendor VMs (running AMD VMs on Intel CPUs and > vice versa). It would be great to leave a comment where the number comes > from of course. > Thinking more about it I believe it would be better to make the parameter something like "additional vcpu-id bits" with a default of topology_levels - 2 (cross-vendor VMs are so special that I think the need to specify another value explicitly in this case is acceptable). Reasons are: - the ability to specify factor values not being a power of 2 is weird - just specifying the additional number of bits would lead to compatible behavior (e.g. a max vcpu-id of 1023 with max_vcpus being 288 and the default value of 1) - the max vcpu-id should (normally) be 2^n - 1 Juergen