* Compiling problem with certain options
@ 2003-07-27  9:56 Stoian Atanasov
From: Stoian Atanasov @ 2003-07-27  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello, Im trying to compile a kernel with only a fiew options enabled, but
get very obscure errors! Can any one suggest sorce of information on this
subject, or how to proceed further!

Thanks in advance!

* Re: Compiling problem with certain options
@ 2003-07-27 10:56 ` Sean Neakums
From: Sean Neakums @ 2003-07-27 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stoian Atanasov; +Cc: linux-kernel

"Stoian Atanasov" <stoian@ucc.uni-sofia.bg> writes:

> Hello, Im trying to compile a kernel with only a fiew options enabled, but
> get very obscure errors! Can any one suggest sorce of information on this
> subject, or how to proceed further!

It may well be something simple, in which posting the errors you're
getting, as well as your .config, would be a solid first step.

* Re: Compiling problem with certain options
@ 2003-07-27 14:01   ` Stoian Atanasov
From: Stoian Atanasov @ 2003-07-27 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Thank you very much for your answer mr Neakum,

Funny, but now i did the menuconfig again and clear, dep, bzImage, modules
and it is ok, maybe i missed removing some module before as i want to
compile a quite light kernel.
Many times i wanted to compile a kernel with just a fiew options and get
some errors, and when want to kompile with lot of options it's ok. I guess
there are some dependency problems, which are not handled properly by make
dep? And i heard somewhere that it is a common error.

Is there a dedicated site, forum about this problem?

Thanks again!

* Re: Compiling problem with certain options
@ 2003-07-27 14:18     ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2003-07-27 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stoian Atanasov; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 05:01:18PM +0300, Stoian Atanasov wrote:

> Funny, but now i did the menuconfig again and clear, dep, bzImage, modules
> and it is ok, maybe i missed removing some module before as i want to
> compile a quite light kernel.

make dep is obsolete in 2.6

> Many times i wanted to compile a kernel with just a fiew options and get
> some errors, and when want to kompile with lot of options it's ok. I guess
> there are some dependency problems, which are not handled properly by make
> dep? And i heard somewhere that it is a common error.

When reconfiguring a 2.4 kernel it is adviced to do a:
cp .config ..
make mrproper
cp ../.config .
make oldconfig
make dep
etc.

For 2.6 you can just run make, without cleaning up before.
To get a resonable small configuration you can start out with
"make allnoconfig", which compiles ok in 2.6 for now.

> Is there a dedicated site, forum about this problem?

This is a good place - you can also try kernelnewbies.

	Sam