From: Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org>
To: "David F." <df7729@gmail.com>,
	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: What populates /proc/partitions ?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 16:49:48 -0700	[thread overview]

On 9/30/19 3:47 PM, David F. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to find out why fd0 is being added to /proc/partitions and stop
> that for my build.  I've searched "/proc/partitions" and "partitions",
> not finding anything that matters.

/proc/partitions is produced on demand by causing a read of it.
That is done by these functions (pointers) in block/genhd.c:

static const struct seq_operations partitions_op = {
	.start	= show_partition_start,
	.next	= disk_seqf_next,
	.stop	= disk_seqf_stop,
	.show	= show_partition
};

in particular, show_partition().  In turn, that function uses data that was
produced upon block device discovery, also in block/genhd.c.
See functions disk_get_part(), disk_part_iter_init(), disk_part_iter_next(),
disk_part_iter_exit(), __device_add_disk(), and get_gendisk().

> If udev is doing it, what function is it call so I can search on that?

I don't know about that.  I guess in the kernel it is about "uevents".
E.g., in block/genhd.c, there are some calls to kobject_uevent() or variants
of it.

> TIA!!

There should be something in your boot log about "fd" or "fd0" or floppy.
eh?

--
~Randy