From: Guido Kiener <Guido.Kiener@rohde-schwarz.com>
To: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>,
	dave penkler <dpenkler@gmail.com>
Cc: Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com>,
	syzbot <syzbot+e2eae5639e7203360018@syzkaller.appspotmail.com>,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	"lee.jones@linaro.org" <lee.jones@linaro.org>,
	USB list <linux-usb@vger.kernel.org>,
	"bp@alien8.de" <bp@alien8.de>,
	"dwmw@amazon.co.uk" <dwmw@amazon.co.uk>,
	"hpa@zytor.com" <hpa@zytor.com>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	"luto@kernel.org" <luto@kernel.org>,
	"mingo@redhat.com" <mingo@redhat.com>,
	"syzkaller-bugs@googlegroups.com"
	<syzkaller-bugs@googlegroups.com>,
	"tglx@linutronix.de" <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	"x86@kernel.org" <x86@kernel.org>
Subject: RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [syzbot] INFO: rcu detected stall in tx
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 16:14:20 +0000	[thread overview]

> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:48:29AM +0200, dave penkler wrote:

> > > Not true.  It does not mark the endpoint as halted, not unless it
> > > receives a STALL handshake from the device.  A STALL is not a
> > > protocol error.

> > > Irrelevant.
> > Not at all. The point is that when an application is talking to an
> > instrument over the usbtmc driver, the underlying host controller and
> > its driver will detect and silence a babbling endpoint.
>
> No, they won't.  That is, they will detect a babble error and return an error status, but
> they won't silence the endpoint.  What makes you think they will?

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. I guess that Dave wanted to propose:
"EPROTO is a link level issue and needs to be handled by the host driver.
When the host driver detects a protocol error while processing an
URB it SHOULD complete the URB with EPROTO status and SHOULD mark the endpoint
as halted."
Is this a realistic fix for all host drivers?

-Guido