It was <2020-05-20 śro 13:53>, when Stephan Mueller wrote: > Am Mittwoch, 20. Mai 2020, 12:44:33 CEST schrieb Lukasz Stelmach: >> It was <2020-05-20 śro 11:18>, when Stephan Mueller wrote: >>> Am Mittwoch, 20. Mai 2020, 11:10:32 CEST schrieb Lukasz Stelmach: >>>> It was <2020-05-20 śro 08:23>, when Stephan Mueller wrote: >>>>> Am Dienstag, 19. Mai 2020, 23:25:51 CEST schrieb Łukasz Stelmach: >>>>> >>>>>> The value was estimaded with ea_iid[1] using on 10485760 bytes >>>>>> read from the RNG via /dev/hwrng. The min-entropy value >>>>>> calculated using the most common value estimate (NIST SP >>>>>> 800-90P[2], section 6.3.1) was 7.964464. >>>>> >>>>> I am sorry, but I think I did not make myself clear: testing >>>>> random numbers post-processing with the statistical tools does NOT >>>>> give any idea about the entropy rate. Thus, all that was >>>>> calculated is the proper implementation of the post-processing >>>>> operation and not the actual noise source. >>>>> >>>>> What needs to happen is that we need access to raw, unconditioned >>>>> data from the noise source that is analyzed with the statistical >>>>> methods. >>>> >>>> I did understand you and I assure you the data I tested were >>>> obtained directly from RNGs. As I pointed before[1], that is how >>>> /dev/hwrng works[2]. >>> >>> I understand that /dev/hwrng pulls the data straight from the >>> hardware. But the data from the hardware usually is not obtained >>> straight from the noise source. >>> >>> Typically you have a noise source (e.g. a ring oscillator) whose data >>> is digitized then fed into a compression function like an LFSR or a >>> hash. Then a cryptographic operation like a CBC-MAC, hash or even a >>> DRBG is applied to that data when the caller wants to have random >>> numbers. [...] >>> In order to estimate entropy, we need the raw unconditioned data from >>> the, say, ring oscillator and not from the (cryptographic) output >>> operation. >> >> Can you tell, why it matters in this case? If I understand correctly, >> the quality field describes not the randomness created by the noise >> generator but the one delivered by the driver to other software >> components. > > The quality field is used by add_hwgenerator_randomness to increase > the Linux RNG entropy estimator accordingly. This is the issue. > > And giving an entropy rate based on post-processed data is > meaningless. > > The concern is, for example, that you use a DRBG that you seeded with, > say, a zero buffer. You get perfect random data from it that no > statistical test can disprove. Yet we know this data stream has zero > entropy. Thus, we need to get to the source and assess its entropy. Of course, this makes sense. >>> That said, the illustrated example is typical for hardware RNGs. Yet >>> it is never guaranteed to work that way. Thus, if you can point to >>> architecture documentation of your specific hardware RNGs showing >>> that the data read from the hardware is pure unconditioned noise >>> data, then I have no objections to the patch. >> >> I can tell for sure that this is the case for exynos-trng[1]. > > So you are saying that the output for the exynos-trng is straight from > a ring oscillator without any post-processing of any kind? > > If this is the case, I would like to suggest you add that statement to > the git commit message with that reference. If so, then I would > withdraw my objection. Done. I will do some reaserch on iproc-rng200 and I will send v3 with the altered commit message. Thank you *very* much for your patience. -- Łukasz Stelmach Samsung R&D Institute Poland Samsung Electronics