On 01/06/2023 01:47 PM, Mark Brown wrote: > On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 at 12:07:59PM -0800, William Zhang wrote: > >> Polling mode provides better throughput in general by avoiding the >> interrupt overhead as the maximum data size one interrupt can handle is >> only 512 bytes. > >> When interrupt is not defined in the HSSPI dts node, driver switches to >> polling mode for controller SPI message processing. Also add driver >> banner message when the driver is loaded successfully. > > This should not be something the user selects via the DT, if the polling > mode is better then the driver should just use it regardless of there > being an interrupt wired up. Generally there's some point at which the > benefits of polling become minimal (and the costs more impactful) but if > the DMA setup is as bad as it sounds then the driver should just ignore > the interrupt. > I agree but this is more for backward compatibility as the original driver uses interrupt to work with MIPS based SoC and I do not want to change that behavior. For newer devices I added, they work in polling mode by default with the dts I supplied. IMHO it is also good to have this fallback option to use interrupt in case user is sensitive to cpu usage.