Hello everyone, This is Dario, from SUSE. I'm also interesting in core-scheduling, and using it in virtualization use cases. Just for context, I'm working in virt since a few years, mostly on Xen, but I've done Linux stuff before, and I am getting back at it. For now, I've been looking at the core-scheduling code, and run some benchmarks myself. On Fri, 2019-08-02 at 11:37 -0400, Julien Desfossez wrote: > We tested both Aaron's and Tim's patches and here are our results. > > Test setup: > - 2 1-thread sysbench, one running the cpu benchmark, the other one > the > mem benchmark > - both started at the same time > - both are pinned on the same core (2 hardware threads) > - 10 30-seconds runs > - test script: https://paste.debian.net/plainh/834cf45c > - only showing the CPU events/sec (higher is better) > - tested 4 tag configurations: > - no tag > - sysbench mem untagged, sysbench cpu tagged > - sysbench mem tagged, sysbench cpu untagged > - both tagged with a different tag > - "Alone" is the sysbench CPU running alone on the core, no tag > - "nosmt" is both sysbench pinned on the same hardware thread, no tag > - "Tim's full patchset + sched" is an experiment with Tim's patchset > combined with Aaron's "hack patch" to get rid of the remaining deep > idle cases > - In all test cases, both tasks can run simultaneously (which was not > the case without those patches), but the standard deviation is a > pretty good indicator of the fairness/consistency. > This, and of course the numbers below too, is very interesting. So, here comes my question: I've done a benchmarking campaign (yes, I'll post numbers soon) using this branch: https://github.com/digitalocean/linux-coresched.git vpillai/coresched-v3-v5.1.5-test https://github.com/digitalocean/linux-coresched/tree/vpillai/coresched-v3-v5.1.5-test Last commit: 7feb1007f274 "Fix stalling of untagged processes competing with tagged processes" Since I see that, in this thread, there are various patches being proposed and discussed... should I rerun my benchmarks with them applied? If yes, which ones? And is there, by any chance, one (or maybe more than one) updated git branch(es)? Thanks in advance and Regards -- Dario Faggioli, Ph.D http://about.me/dario.faggioli Virtualization Software Engineer SUSE Labs, SUSE https://www.suse.com/ ------------------------------------------------------------------- <> (Raistlin Majere)