* use of TASK_SIZE to determine user/kernel
@ 2005-02-18 17:04 Kumar Gala
From: Kumar Gala @ 2005-02-18 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel list; +Cc: Becky Gill

We are looking at a 32-bit architecture implementation were we can have
distinct address spaces for user and kernel, thus allowing 4G's for
each.  In doing this we have come across the use of TASK_SIZE to
determine if an address is user vs kernel (example mm/memory.c).  I'm
wondering is it just sufficient to set TASK_SIZE to 0xffffffff?  This
feels wrong to me, since it would imply that all the places that are
testing will never need access to the kernel memory space.

thanks

- kumar

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-02-18 17:04 UTC | newest]