From: Krzysztof Halasa <khc@pm.waw.pl>
To: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com>
Cc: Jurriaan <thunder7@xs4all.nl>, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: cutting down on boot messages
Date: 25 Jul 2003 23:09:50 +0200	[thread overview]

Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com> writes:

> You'd do better to have a boot time command line option to limit printk
> messages to err, or above.  Most of the printk messages have been given a
> severity already, so this shouldn't be a problem, and it will probably
> uncover some errors in the severity of certain messages.

Right.
In fact I'd rather leave the console printing KERN_INFO and make sure
the (debug) messages are really KERN_DEBUG. This way we wouldn't have
much noise with normal boot, but we could see KERN_DEBUG when something
goes wrong (and the kernel is being told to print everything).
--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator