* Re: Why is generic hldc beig ignored?   RE:Linux 2.4.22-pre4
       [not found] <20030711212551.A25528@electric-eye.fr.zoreil.com>
@ 2003-07-14 11:36 ` Frantisek Rysánek
From: Frantisek Rysánek @ 2003-07-14 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marcelo; +Cc: Francois Romieu, henrique2.gobbi, linux-kernel

Dear Mr. Tosatti,

I've been asked by Mr. Francois Romieu, the author of
drivers/net/wan/dscc4.c,
to give you a summary of my user-space experience with recent versions
of dscc4.c and the Generic HDLC Layer (drivers/net/wan/hdlc_*.c, hdlc.o).

The message is: it works, to the extent that it can be configured and
TCP/IP works. I've tried DSCC4 hardware back-to-back and against
a Cisco, in a few different configurations. I've tried the three basic
encapsulations: cisco-hdlc, itu-hdlc and sync ppp.
I don't know enough FR and X.25 to be able to come up with a workable
setup (didn't even try).

I was using linux 2.4.21-rc1 and 2.4.21 (release). This works, but that
version of dscc4.c suffers from a hardware quirk in the DSCC4 hardware
- the port/link cannot be reconfigured without a cold reboot.
The effects of this quirk are alleviated by a patch to dscc4.c that has been
submitted by F.Romieu for approval to the linux kernel and that reportedly
has made i to the -ac series, but not to the vanilla 2.4.21.
I have not touched the sources of the Generic HDLC Layer (hdlc*.c) that is
present in 2.4.21-rc1 to 2.4.21. I was using the vanilla source without
modification. I don't know about any differences in the hdlc*.c in the -ac
series - I didn't investigate that flavor.

As for the userspace sethdlc.c by Krzystof Halasa: I was using ver.1.12,
modified by Mr. Romieu, who has "cut some non-compiling functionality."
The current version from Krzysztof Halasa is 1.15.

I barely had the time to test basic workability and document my test bench.
Unfortunately I did not do any stress/long-term/feature-crosscompatibility
testing.
Specifically, I was using uniprocessor machines only (no SMP).
I did not test all the features available in the Generic HDLC Layer, I don't
even
fully understand all the technologies covered - I was only interested in
basic
point-to-point IP over sync serial.

I've written a short mini-HOWTO - the chapter on test results in terms of
transfer rates and ping round trips is at
http://sweb.cz/Frantisek.Rysanek/sync/dscc4+HDLC-Mini-HOWTO.html#Drivers.ope
n.tests

I hope that I was not completely wasting your time :-)
If you have further questions, ask me.
Thanks for the great job that you're doing.

Sincerely yours

Frank Rysanek

From: Francois Romieu @ 2003-07-14 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marcelo
  Cc: =?unknown-8bit?Q?Frantisek_Rys=E1nek?=,
	henrique2.gobbi, Krzysztof Halasa, linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=unknown-8bit, Size: 587 bytes --]

Frantisek Rysánek <rysanek@fccps.cz> :
[...]
> As for the userspace sethdlc.c by Krzystof Halasa: I was using ver.1.12,
> modified by Mr. Romieu, who has "cut some non-compiling functionality."
> The current version from Krzysztof Halasa is 1.15.

To be fair to Krzysztof, the "non-compiling functionality" I cut simply
came from the fact that latest sethdlc utility contained code related to
CONFIG_HDLC_RAW_ETH option which wasn't available in vanilla 2.4.21-pre.
Please note that this specific code exists in 2.4.22-pre3-ac but not in
plain Marcelo's 2.4.22-pre.

Regards

--
Ueimor

* Re: Why is generic hldc beig ignored?   RE:Linux 2.4.22-pre4
@ 2003-07-14 13:16   ` Krzysztof Halasa
From: Krzysztof Halasa @ 2003-07-14 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frantisek Rysánek
  Cc: marcelo, Francois Romieu, henrique2.gobbi, linux-kernel

"Frantisek Rysánek" <rysanek@fccps.cz> writes:

> As for the userspace sethdlc.c by Krzystof Halasa: I was using ver.1.12,
> modified by Mr. Romieu, who has "cut some non-compiling functionality."

It was a q&d version to support Ethernet emulation and did not compile
without it. Was in the README in fact.

> The current version from Krzysztof Halasa is 1.15.

This one doesn't have this problem, Ethernet emulation doesn't get
compiled if the kernel has no support for it.

> Specifically, I was using uniprocessor machines only (no SMP).

This is a common problem. From time to time I perform SMP tests, but they
are neither extensive or long-term :-(

> I've written a short mini-HOWTO - the chapter on test results in terms of
> transfer rates and ping round trips is at
> http://sweb.cz/Frantisek.Rysanek/sync/dscc4+HDLC-Mini-HOWTO.html#Drivers.ope
> n.tests

Looks nice, that's something I always wanted to have... I'll send you
an errata.
Great job.
--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator

* Re: Why is generic hldc beig ignored?   RE:Linux 2.4.22-pre4
@ 2003-07-11 18:05             ` Krzysztof Halasa
From: Krzysztof Halasa @ 2003-07-11 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik
  Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, Henrique Oliveira, Alan Cox, Kevin Curtis, lkml

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> writes:

> New HDLC stuff (already in 2.5) was also developed for 2.4.  It changes
> the 2.4 HDLC userland ABI... but pretty much everybody who still
> cares about HDLC is using the new (changed) ABI.

Precisely. Still, the old HDLC is now a history, 2.4.21 contains the new
ABI/API. It's just missing some regular updates (not breaking the ABI).
--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator

* Re: Why is generic hldc beig ignored?   RE:Linux 2.4.22-pre4
@ 2003-07-11 18:00       ` Krzysztof Halasa
From: Krzysztof Halasa @ 2003-07-11 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, Kevin Curtis, lkml

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> 2.4.21 has much older code than the current stuff (which has been in -ac
> for a while). As I understand it the new hdlc layer needs newer tools ?

Yes, this is the same new tool that is required for plain 2.4.21 and -ac
and for the last patch as well (not yet applied by you, BTW it's
http://hq.pm.waw.pl/pub/linux/hdlc/hdlc-2.4.21pre5-ac3-1.14.patch
or ftp:// the same, production-tested = you can apply it safely).
2.4.20 used older sethdlc tool but in practice all users were already
using the newer tool + kernel patch.

The last patch (1.14) contains few small bug-fixes and new Ethernet framing
for HDLC and FR. There are no incompatible ABI changes (i.e. older
sethdlc binary works with new kernels, but you of course need new tool for
new features) after the "big" switch in 2.4.21pre.
--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator

* Re: Why is generic hldc beig ignored?   RE:Linux 2.4.22-pre4
@ 2003-07-11 17:27           ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2003-07-11 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti; +Cc: Henrique Oliveira, Alan Cox, Kevin Curtis, lkml

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 02:18:10PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> I am.
>
> Please report the results of your tests and CC lkml.
>
> And Alan, what the -ac tree hdlc changes are about ?

IMO hdlc is a "raidtools-like situation":

New HDLC stuff (already in 2.5) was also developed for 2.4.  It changes
the 2.4 HDLC userland ABI... but pretty much everybody who still
cares about HDLC is using the new (changed) ABI.

	Jeff

* Re: Why is generic hldc beig ignored?   RE:Linux 2.4.22-pre4
@ 2003-07-11 17:18         ` Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2003-07-11 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrique Oliveira; +Cc: Alan Cox, Kevin Curtis, lkml

@ 2003-07-11 16:55       ` Henrique Oliveira

From: Alan Cox @ 2003-07-11  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrique Oliveira; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, Kevin Curtis, lkml

@ 2003-07-11  8:30 Kevin Curtis
From: Kevin Curtis @ 2003-07-11  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Henrique Oliveira', Marcelo Tosatti, Kevin Curtis; +Cc: lkml

My apologies, it is already there in 2.4.21, however I have been monitoring
the change logs, and I can't see it mentioned there anywhere.

Thanks very much for pointing this out.

Kevin

The patch for the generic HDLC layer was included on the kernel 2.4.21. Thus
this layer is already on the main tree (unless, of course, someone has
removed it, I havent checked 2.4.22 yet). This layer provides data link
protocol (ppp, hdlc, raw-hdlc, x25, frame-relay, cisco-hdlc) for the kernel.
It's mainly used by synchronous cards drivers (Cyclades, Moxa, SDL, Farsite,
etc, etc, etc). regards Henrique

@ 2003-07-10 17:11 ` Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2003-07-10 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Curtis; +Cc: lkml