From: Christian Jaeger <christian.jaeger@ethlife.ethz.ch>
To: Oleg Drokin <green@namesys.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Lockups with loop'ed sparse files on reiserfs?
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 01:10:51 +0200	[thread overview]

At 0:22 Uhr +0400 14.06.2003, Oleg Drokin wrote:
>Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt

Done, new kernels now compiled with CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ.

>There were a known problem with reiserfs that it might sometimes
>deadlock in out-of-space situation.
>This is fixed in 2.4.21

Good to know.

>  > There's also the case 1, using uml. In this case I'm sure there was
>>  no problem with space. The sparse filesystem image file I used is
>  > exactly 500'000'000 bytes, and there's 1675228 k free space on the
>  > partition where it is put on.
>
>Ok, that's where sysrq-T/sysrq-P traceswould be most useful.
>And if you'd try with 2.4.21 that would be even better.

I've now compiled 2.4.21 from kernel.org with skas3 from debian, as
well as 2.4.21 with grsecurity (from grsecurity.net, with medium
setting) and skas3, and tried uml again with the same sparse image
multiple times under both. I haven't managed to lock the machine up
to now even while installing quite some stuff, so maybe the problem
is already solved. If not, I'll tell you when it happens again. (I
think I'll run 2.4.21-grsec-skas3 for the near future now.)

Thanks for your help
Christian.