From: Jonathan Lundell <linux@lundell-bros.com>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, linux-net@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Problem with 2.4.24 e1000 and keepalived
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 09:49:20 -0800	[thread overview]

At 9:47am +0100 1/8/04, Willy Tarreau wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:14:41AM +0100, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>>  the situation is like this (exactly this works flawlessly with tulip):
>>
>>  - unplug all interfaces from the switches
>>  - reboot box
>>  - plug in _one_ interface
>>  - log into the box (yes, network works flawlessly)
>>  - start keepalived
>>  - now plug in rest of the interfaces
>>  - watch keepalived do _nothing_ (seems no UP event shows up)
>
>I agree with this description, and would add :
>   - mii-diag ethX or ethtool ethX report link down

Which is, IMO, a bug, albeit a kind of specification bug, given the
way the drivers tend to be written. An Ethernet link can be up or
down independent of the logical up/down state of the interface, and
with most drivers the link state is hidden as long as the interface
is logically down.

One place where you might want to know: an HA system where a
redundant interface is available to be configured in place of an
active interface. We'd like to know the state of the link on the
backup interface, which is logically down, as an indication that it's
hooked up and ready to go.

It's unfortunate that the two conditions are conflated by most net drivers.
--
/Jonathan Lundell.