* Re: ia32 kernel on amd64 box?
@ 2003-04-28 16:42 Jeffrey Baker
From: Jeffrey Baker @ 2003-04-28 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I was wondering the same thing about peripherals.  The
README in aic79xx driver from adaptec states that the driver
is supported on x86 only.  So I was wary to spec model 39320
HBAs in x86-64 machines.  I'm sure Adaptec is using the term
"support" in the most corporate sense possible, but what if
it really does scribble the disk under SuSE 64-bit kernel?

-jwb

[parent not found: <20030425214500.GA20221@ncsu.edu.suse.lists.linux.kernel>]
* ia32 kernel on amd64 box?
@ 2003-04-25 21:45 jlnance
From: jlnance @ 2003-04-25 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello All,
    Does anyone know if an ia32 kernel (specifically the one that comes with
Red Hat 7.2) will work on an SMP AMD Opteron machine?
    I know someone will want to know why I would want to, so here is the
explanation.  I want to evaluate the opteron port of Linux at work.  Buying
the Opteron machine is less risky if I can fall back to 32 bit Linux
if the 64 bit port does not work well.  This is particularly true since
the 64 bit servers do not seem to cost much more than similar Pentium
machines.

Thanks,

Jim