From: Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no>
To: Blesson Paul <blessonpaul@usa.net>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: RPC vs Socket
Date: 21 Jun 2001 15:37:01 +0200	[thread overview]

     > hi all
     >                       I am in the way of building a new remote
     >                       file system.
     > Presently I decided to use sockets for remote
     > communication. Lately I understood that RPC is used in coda and
     > nfs file systems(is it so).  I want to know the fessibility in
     > using RPC in the new file system.

Should be no problem. The RPC layer is not tied to any particular
filesystem.

On the client, you need to set up struct rpc_procinfo with the
necessary RPC XDR routines, which you then declare to the RPC layer
using a struct rpc_program and a call to rpc_create_client(). See
for instance linux/fs/lockd/mon.c, or linux/fs/nfs/mount_clnt.c...

For the server, things are likely to be a bit more complex in that you
need to declare the routines using structs svc_program, svc_version
and rpc_procinfo (again) and then set up a daemon process. Examples of
use include linux/fs/lockd/svc.c and linux/fs/nfsd/nfssvc.c...

Cheers,
  Trond