* Re: ODEBUG: Out of memory. ODEBUG disabled
@ 2018-11-10  1:45 Qian Cai
From: Qian Cai @ 2018-11-10  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waiman Long
  Cc: Joel Fernandes (Google),
	Yang Shi, Zhong Jiang, Arnd Bergmann, open list, Thomas Gleixner

> Sent: Friday, November 09, 2018 at 5:08 PM
> From: "Waiman Long" <longman@redhat.com>
> To: "Qian Cai" <cai@gmx.us>, "Yang Shi" <yang.shi@linux.alibaba.com>
> Cc: "open list" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>, "Thomas Gleixner" <tglx@linutronix.de>, "Arnd Bergmann" <arnd@arndb.de>, "Joel Fernandes (Google)" <joel@joelfernandes.org>, "Zhong Jiang" <zhongjiang@huawei.com>
> Subject: Re: ODEBUG: Out of memory. ODEBUG disabled
>
> On 11/09/2018 04:51 PM, Qian Cai wrote:

>>> May you please paste the detail failure log?
>> I assume you mean dmesg.
>>
>> Here is the dmesg for 64 CPUs,
>> https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/BnhvXXhn7k/
>>> I don't think so. I'm supposed it works well with large CPU number on x86.
>> Here is the one with nr_cpus workaround,
>> https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/qMpd2CCPSV/
>
> The debugobjects code have a set of 1024 statically allocated debug
> objects that can be used in early boot before the slab memory allocator
> is initialized. Apparently, the system may have used up all the
> statically allocated objects. Try double ODEBUG_POOL_SIZE to see if it
> helps.
Great, you are right. Doubling the size makes it work. Does it make sense
to have a kconfig option instead?

> There are also quite a number of warnings in your console log. So there
> is certainly something wrong with your kernel or config options.
Yes, I am working on all those warnings. This one is found by ODEBUG,
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/11/10/136

* Re: ODEBUG: Out of memory. ODEBUG disabled
@ 2018-11-10 13:59 ` Waiman Long
From: Waiman Long @ 2018-11-10 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qian Cai

On 11/09/2018 08:45 PM, Qian Cai wrote:
>> Sent: Friday, November 09, 2018 at 5:08 PM
>> From: "Waiman Long" <longman@redhat.com>
>> To: "Qian Cai" <cai@gmx.us>, "Yang Shi" <yang.shi@linux.alibaba.com>
>> Cc: "open list" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>, "Thomas Gleixner" <tglx@linutronix.de>, "Arnd Bergmann" <arnd@arndb.de>, "Joel Fernandes (Google)" <joel@joelfernandes.org>, "Zhong Jiang" <zhongjiang@huawei.com>
>> Subject: Re: ODEBUG: Out of memory. ODEBUG disabled

>>> I assume you mean dmesg.
>>>
>>> Here is the dmesg for 64 CPUs,
>>> https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/BnhvXXhn7k/
>>> Here is the one with nr_cpus workaround,
>>> https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/qMpd2CCPSV/
>> The debugobjects code have a set of 1024 statically allocated debug
>> objects that can be used in early boot before the slab memory allocator
>> is initialized. Apparently, the system may have used up all the
>> statically allocated objects. Try double ODEBUG_POOL_SIZE to see if it
>> helps.
> Great, you are right. Doubling the size makes it work. Does it make sense
> to have a kconfig option instead?

First, I think you need to figure out what your system needed to use up
so many debug objects in early boot. If there is a legitimate reason for
this behavior, we can talk about having a kconfig option to increase that.

>> There are also quite a number of warnings in your console log. So there
>> is certainly something wrong with your kernel or config options.
> Yes, I am working on all those warnings. This one is found by ODEBUG,
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/11/10/136

Cheers,
Longman

* Re: ODEBUG: Out of memory. ODEBUG disabled
@ 2018-11-10 14:11   ` Qian Cai
From: Qian Cai @ 2018-11-10 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waiman Long
  Cc: Arnd Bergmann, Yang Shi, Zhong Jiang, open list, Thomas Gleixner,
	Joel Fernandes (Google)

On 11/10/18 at 8:59 AM, Waiman Long wrote:

> On 11/09/2018 08:45 PM, Qian Cai wrote:
> >> Sent: Friday, November 09, 2018 at 5:08 PM
> >> From: "Waiman Long" <longman@redhat.com>
> >> To: "Qian Cai" <cai@gmx.us>, "Yang Shi" <yang.shi@linux.alibaba.com>
> >> Cc: "open list" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>, "Thomas Gleixner" <tglx@linutronix.de>, "Arnd Bergmann" <arnd@arndb.de>, "Joel Fernandes (Google)" <joel@joelfernandes.org>, "Zhong Jiang" <zhongjiang@huawei.com>
> >> Subject: Re: ODEBUG: Out of memory. ODEBUG disabled

> >> The debugobjects code have a set of 1024 statically allocated debug
> >> objects that can be used in early boot before the slab memory allocator
> >> is initialized. Apparently, the system may have used up all the
> >> statically allocated objects. Try double ODEBUG_POOL_SIZE to see if it
> >> helps.
> > Great, you are right. Doubling the size makes it work. Does it make sense
> > to have a kconfig option instead?
>
> First, I think you need to figure out what your system needed to use up
> so many debug objects in early boot. If there is a legitimate reason for
> this behavior, we can talk about having a kconfig option to increase that.
Anybody else not getting ODEBUG OOM with more than 64-CPU? As mentioned, restricting to 16-CPU works fine. How can I figure out why the system uses so much debug objects?

* Re: ODEBUG: Out of memory. ODEBUG disabled
@ 2018-11-13  4:33     ` Qian Cai
From: Qian Cai @ 2018-11-13  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waiman Long
  Cc: Arnd Bergmann, Yang Shi, Zhong Jiang, linux kernel,
	Thomas Gleixner, Joel Fernandes (Google)

> On Nov 10, 2018, at 9:11 AM, Qian Cai <cai@gmx.us> wrote:

>>> Great, you are right. Doubling the size makes it work. Does it make sense
>>> to have a kconfig option instead?
>>
>> First, I think you need to figure out what your system needed to use up
>> so many debug objects in early boot. If there is a legitimate reason for
>> this behavior, we can talk about having a kconfig option to increase that.
> Anybody else not getting ODEBUG OOM with more than 64-CPU? As
> mentioned, restricting to 16-CPU works fine. How can I figure out why the
> system uses so much debug objects?
On another aarch64 server with 256-CPU, even double the size of
ODEBUG_POOL_SIZE, i.e., 2048 will get "ODEBUG: Out of memory. ODEBUG
disabled”.

* Re: ODEBUG: Out of memory. ODEBUG disabled
@ 2018-11-14  0:55       ` Qian Cai
From: Qian Cai @ 2018-11-14  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux kernel
  Cc: Jan Stancek, Andrew Morton, Du Changbin, Christian Borntraeger

> On Nov 12, 2018, at 11:33 PM, Qian Cai <cai@gmx.us> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 10, 2018, at 9:11 AM, Qian Cai <cai@gmx.us> wrote:

>>> First, I think you need to figure out what your system needed to use up
>>> so many debug objects in early boot. If there is a legitimate reason for
>>> this behavior, we can talk about having a kconfig option to increase that.
>> Anybody else not getting ODEBUG OOM with more than 64-CPU? As
>> mentioned, restricting to 16-CPU works fine. How can I figure out why the
>> system uses so much debug objects?
> On another aarch64 server with 256-CPU, even double the size of
> ODEBUG_POOL_SIZE, i.e., 2048 will get "ODEBUG: Out of memory. ODEBUG
> disabled”.

OK, here is the problem.

In order to get aarch64 work, the initial ODEBUG_POOL_SIZE on

64-CPU:  need 2048
256-CPU: need 8192 (4096 too small)

This commit 97dd552eb23c

+        * Increase the thresholds for allocating and freeing objects
+        * according to the number of possible CPUs available in the system.
+        */
+       debug_objects_pool_size += num_possible_cpus() * 32;

Why magic number 32?

It needs to be bigger than that for aarch64.

(2048 + 64 x 32 - 1024) / 64 = 48 (work on 64-cpu)
(4096 + 256 x 32 - 1024) / 256 = 48 (not work on 256-cpu)
(8196 + 256 x 32 - 1024) / 256 = 60 (work on 256-cpu)

* Re: ODEBUG: Out of memory. ODEBUG disabled
@ 2018-11-09 22:08     ` Waiman Long
From: Waiman Long @ 2018-11-09 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qian Cai, Yang Shi
  Cc: open list, Thomas Gleixner, Arnd Bergmann,
	Joel Fernandes (Google),
	Zhong Jiang

@ 2018-11-09 22:01     ` Yang Shi
From: Yang Shi @ 2018-11-09 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qian Cai
  Cc: open list, Thomas Gleixner, Waiman Long, Arnd Bergmann,
	Joel Fernandes (Google),
	Zhong Jiang

On 11/9/18 1:51 PM, Qian Cai wrote:

>> On Nov 9, 2018, at 4:42 PM, Yang Shi <yang.shi@linux.alibaba.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 11/9/18 1:36 PM, Qian Cai wrote:
>>> It is a bit annoying on this aarch64 server with 64 CPUs that is
>>> booting the latest mainline (3541833fd1f2) causes object debugging
>>> always running out of memory.
>> May you please paste the detail failure log?
> I assume you mean dmesg.
>
> Here is the dmesg for 64 CPUs,
> https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/BnhvXXhn7k/

I don't see the oom message, it looks it boots up successfully with 64 CPUs.

@ 2018-11-09 21:51   ` Qian Cai
From: Qian Cai @ 2018-11-09 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang Shi
  Cc: open list, Thomas Gleixner, Waiman Long, Arnd Bergmann,
	Joel Fernandes (Google),
	Zhong Jiang

@ 2018-11-09 21:42 ` Yang Shi
From: Yang Shi @ 2018-11-09 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qian Cai, open list
  Cc: Thomas Gleixner, Waiman Long, Arnd Bergmann,
	Joel Fernandes (Google),
	Zhong Jiang

On 11/9/18 1:36 PM, Qian Cai wrote:
> It is a bit annoying on this aarch64 server with 64 CPUs that is
> booting the latest mainline (3541833fd1f2) causes object debugging
> always running out of memory.

May you please paste the detail failure log?

> I have to boot the kernel with only 16 CPUs instead (nr_cpus=16)
> to make it work. Is it expected that object debugging is not going
> to work with large machines?

I don't think so. I'm supposed it works well with large CPU number on x86.

Thanks,
Yang

* ODEBUG: Out of memory. ODEBUG disabled
@ 2018-11-09 21:36 Qian Cai
From: Qian Cai @ 2018-11-09 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: open list
  Cc: Thomas Gleixner, Yang Shi, Waiman Long, Arnd Bergmann,