* linux-2.6.0-test1 freezes sometimes
@ 2003-07-16 12:27 J. Hidding
From: J. Hidding @ 2003-07-16 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

linux-2.6.0-test1 freezes quite often. I think it's
related with running a verry nasty Mozilla 1.4, but it's
only a hunch. Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

Johan Hidding

* Re: linux-2.6.0-test1 freezes sometimes
@ 2003-07-16 12:33 ` Stefano Rivoir
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Stefano Rivoir @ 2003-07-16 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Hidding; +Cc: linux-kernel

J. Hidding wrote:

> Hello,
>
> linux-2.6.0-test1 freezes quite often. I think it's
> related with running a verry nasty Mozilla 1.4, but it's
> only a hunch. Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

Yes, me :(

They seem to be totally random (no mozilla, here): I use KDE
and they may occur while scrolling down a window, or while
typing in a shell session or whatever.

I couldn't find a way to reproduce it so far.

Note that they did not happen up to kernel 2.5.75, and they
show up with 2.6.0-t1 and 2.6.0-t1-mm1.

No clues in syslog or kern.log, simply a sudden hard freeze,
without particular HD or CPU activity before.

Bye!

--
Stefano RIVOIR
GTS Srl

* Re: linux-2.6.0-test1 freezes sometimes
@ 2003-07-16 13:13   ` J. Hidding
From: J. Hidding @ 2003-07-16 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Rivoir; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:33:01 +0200
  Stefano Rivoir <s.rivoir@gts.it> wrote:

>Yes, me :(
>
>Note that they did not happen up to kernel 2.5.75, and
>they show up with 2.6.0-t1 and 2.6.0-t1-mm1.
>
>Bye!
>--
>Stefano RIVOIR
>GTS Srl

When 2.6.0-test1 did it on me, I went back to 2.5.75,
which took a nap after 2 hours, than to 2.5.73-mm2, and it
also froze. Some behaviour it didn't show at it's own
time, so I guessed it had to do with some recently
installed software.

@ 2003-07-16 14:01   ` Henrik Persson
From: Henrik Persson @ 2003-07-16 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:33:01 +0200
Stefano Rivoir <s.rivoir@gts.it> wrote:

> Yes, me :(
>
> They seem to be totally random (no mozilla, here): I use KDE
> and they may occur while scrolling down a window, or while
> typing in a shell session or whatever.
>
> I couldn't find a way to reproduce it so far.
>
> Note that they did not happen up to kernel 2.5.75, and they
> show up with 2.6.0-t1 and 2.6.0-t1-mm1.
>
> No clues in syslog or kern.log, simply a sudden hard freeze,
> without particular HD or CPU activity before.

Same here. No clues at all why it froze.. I was just browsing my mail and
voila. Has only happend once so far.

--
Henrik Persson  nix@syndicalist.net  http://nix.badanka.com

* Re: linux-2.6.0-test1 freezes sometimes
@ 2003-07-17  9:14     ` Ivan Gyurdiev
From: Ivan Gyurdiev @ 2003-07-17  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Hidding; +Cc: linux-kernel

I experience freezes too, with recent 2.5 kernels, as well as i/o
lockups (attempted disk activity freezes programs, but I can move the
mouse, etc...). I posted an oops (kernel BUG) for the second here:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0307.1/1682.html

Are you using tcq by any chance? Just curious.

* Re: linux-2.6.0-test1 freezes sometimes
@ 2003-07-17 14:48   ` J. Hidding
From: J. Hidding @ 2003-07-17 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

>Yes, me :(
>
>They seem to be totally random (no mozilla, here): I use
>KDE and they may occur while scrolling down a window, or
>while typing in a shell session or whatever.
>
>I couldn't find a way to reproduce it so far.
>
>Note that they did not happen up to kernel 2.5.75, and
>they show up with 2.6.0-t1 and 2.6.0-t1-mm1.
>
>No clues in syslog or kern.log, simply a sudden hard
>freeze, without particular HD or CPU activity before.
>
>Bye!
>
>--
>Stefano RIVOIR
>GTS Srl

I'm getting very frustated right now, as I seem to be
unable to find ANY kernel that doesn't freeze. (2.4.21
this time) I'm beginning to think there's something wrong
with my machine itself. How can I test my computer for any
malfunctioning hardware (memory for example, or
overheating)?

@ 2003-07-17 14:54     ` Mark Watts
From: Mark Watts @ 2003-07-17 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Hidding, linux-kernel