LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>
To: Christian Couder <christian.couder@gmail.com>
Cc: Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>, git <git@vger.kernel.org>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Subject: Re: A note on the 5.12-rc1 tag
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 10:10:05 -0800

Christian Couder <christian.couder@gmail.com> writes:

>> (git notes would be nice for this, but they're hard to share reliably;
>> the above mechanism to accumulate entries from a file in the repo seems
>> simpler. I can imagine other possibilities.)
>
> If the notes are created automatically from the `/.git-bisect-skip`
> files and stored in `refs/notes/skip`, then they might not need to be
> shared. If people already share notes, they would just need to stop
> sharing those in `refs/notes/skip`.

Ehh, doesn't Josh _want_ to share them, though?  I do not know if a
single "refs/notes/bisect-skip" notes would do, or you'd need one
notes tree per the kind of bisection (iow, people may be chasing
different set of bugs, and the commits that need to be skipped while
chasing one bug may be OK to test while chasing another one), but I
would imagine that for this particular use case of marking "these
commits are dangerous to check out and build on", it does not depend
on what you are bisecting to find at all, so sharing would be a
sensible thing to do.

It is trivial for you to fetch the refs/notes/do-not--checkout notes
tree from me and merge it into your refs/notes/do-not--checkout
notes tree, I would think; "git notes merge" may have room for
improvement, but essentially it would just want a union of two
sets, no?