From: Jes Sorensen <jes@trained-monkey.org>
To: davidm@hpl.hp.com
Cc: Jamie Wellnitz <Jamie.Wellnitz@emulex.com>, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: virt_to_page/pci_map_page vs. pci_map_single
Date: 04 Nov 2003 04:44:36 -0500	[thread overview]

Jes> Hmmm, my brain has gotten ia64ified ;-) It's basically the normal
Jes> mappings of the kernel, ie. the kernel text/data/bss segments as
Jes> well as anything you do not get back as a dynamic mapping such as
Jes> ioremap/vmalloc/kmap.

David> I don't think it's safe to use virt_to_page() on static kernel
David> addresses (text, data, and bss).  For example, ia64 linux
David> nowadays uses a virtual mapping for the static kernel memory,
David> so it's not part of the identity-mapped segment.

Mmmm good point, I stand corrected. It doesn't really make sense to do
it anyway, but maybe it's worth underlining in the doc if it hasn't
been done so already.

Cheers,
Jes