* 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-26 20:10 bert hubert
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: bert hubert @ 2003-11-26 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

This bug has been seen here over eight years ago and it is back.. linux
2.6.0-test4 is still not cat proof :-)

I found my cat asleep on the warm laptop, it is winter here, and the
keyboard was dead. Mouse still works, but I had to reboot before I could use
the keyboard again. Restarting X, which I could do with the mouse, did not
help.

But I'm willing to live with this problem :-) Not sure if I want to debug
this, my previous laptop turned out to be filled with hair too. She never
lies on the keyboard when I'm at home!

Thought you'd want to know,

	bert.

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-26 20:16 ` Nigel Cunningham
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Nigel Cunningham @ 2003-11-26 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

The cat kills the keyboard instead of the mouse? That is sad!

--
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable events occur
with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and no one is given credit.

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-26 20:38   ` William Lee Irwin III
From: William Lee Irwin III @ 2003-11-26 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 09:16:20AM +1300, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> The cat kills the keyboard instead of the mouse? That is sad!

My cat actually goes after my mouse, but boringly only sits on it
and begs for attention. It's sitting on a podium-like contraption
she likes to hop on top of despite the fact it's not a very stable
thing to sit atop. I'll be sure to let gregkh know if she passes any
bugs on to it (it's a USB mouse =).

-- wli

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-26 20:41 ` Mike Dresser
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mike Dresser @ 2003-11-26 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, bert hubert wrote:

> This bug has been seen here over eight years ago and it is back.. linux
> 2.6.0-test4 is still not cat proof :-)

There has been a fix for this issue in the kernel source for quite awhile.

>From as far back as the configuration utility in 2.4.22:

CONFIG_WATCHDOG:

 If you say Y here (and to one of the following options) and create a
 character special file /dev/watchdog with major number 10 and minor
 number 130 using mknod ("man mknod"), you will get a watchdog, i.e.:

It should be under Character devices somewhere.

Hope this helps,

Mike

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-26 20:42 ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-11-26 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl> writes:

> This bug has been seen here over eight years ago and it is back.. linux
> 2.6.0-test4 is still not cat proof :-)
>
> I found my cat asleep on the warm laptop,

I found a cat on the monitor one day.

> it is winter here, and the keyboard was dead. Mouse still works, but
> I had to reboot before I could use the keyboard again. Restarting X,
> which I could do with the mouse, did not help.
>
> But I'm willing to live with this problem :-) Not sure if I want to debug
> this, my previous laptop turned out to be filled with hair too. She never
> lies on the keyboard when I'm at home!

Was the lid open, so the cat pressed some keys that messed things up,
or was did it overheat from fans being covered by cat?

What model is the laptop?  My brother has a Fujitsu-Siemens where the
keyboard locks up if you plug a wheel mouse into the PS/2 port and
move the mouse at the same time you touch the touchpad.  He doesn't
have a cat.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@kth.se

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-26 20:48   ` Edesio Costa e Silva
From: Edesio Costa e Silva @ 2003-11-26 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Dresser; +Cc: linux-kernel, Edesio Costa e Silva

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 03:41:05PM -0500, Mike Dresser wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, bert hubert wrote:
>
> > This bug has been seen here over eight years ago and it is back.. linux
> > 2.6.0-test4 is still not cat proof :-)
>
> There has been a fix for this issue in the kernel source for quite awhile.
>
> >From as far back as the configuration utility in 2.4.22:
>
> CONFIG_WATCHDOG:

So the watchdog scares the cat which leaves the keyboard... :-)

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-26 23:46     ` Mike Fedyk
From: Mike Fedyk @ 2003-11-26 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edesio Costa e Silva; +Cc: Mike Dresser, linux-kernel, Edesio Costa e Silva

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 06:48:21PM -0200, Edesio Costa e Silva wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 03:41:05PM -0500, Mike Dresser wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, bert hubert wrote:
> >
> > > This bug has been seen here over eight years ago and it is back.. linux
> > > 2.6.0-test4 is still not cat proof :-)
> >
> > There has been a fix for this issue in the kernel source for quite awhile.
> >
> > >From as far back as the configuration utility in 2.4.22:
> >
> > CONFIG_WATCHDOG:
> >

> So the watchdog scares the cat which leaves the keyboard... :-)

Maybe it would be better to set your system to play a sound if the computer
gets over a certain temperature.

Now just find a nice mean dog to record for the sound... :-D

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-27  0:50       ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-11-27  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com> writes:

>> > There has been a fix for this issue in the kernel source for quite awhile.

>> > CONFIG_WATCHDOG:
>> >

>> So the watchdog scares the cat which leaves the keyboard... :-)
>
> Maybe it would be better to set your system to play a sound if the computer
> gets over a certain temperature.
>
> Now just find a nice mean dog to record for the sound... :-D

Just be careful.  I've seen cats that would shred a dog if they got
the chance.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@kth.se

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-27  1:06         ` Mike Fedyk
From: Mike Fedyk @ 2003-11-27  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M?ns Rullg?rd; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 01:50:43AM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Just be careful.  I've seen cats that would shred a dog if they got
> the chance.

Imagine taking in that laptop with the shreaded screen... :-/

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-27  7:30   ` Gábor Lénárt
From: Gábor Lénárt @ 2003-11-27  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 09:16:20AM +1300, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> The cat kills the keyboard instead of the mouse? That is sad!

So, delete /bin/cat ;-)

> On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 09:10, bert hubert wrote:
> > This bug has been seen here over eight years ago and it is back.. linux
> > 2.6.0-test4 is still not cat proof :-)
> >
> > I found my cat asleep on the warm laptop, it is winter here, and the
> > keyboard was dead. Mouse still works, but I had to reboot before I could use
> > the keyboard again. Restarting X, which I could do with the mouse, did not
> > help.
> >
> > But I'm willing to live with this problem :-) Not sure if I want to debug
> > this, my previous laptop turned out to be filled with hair too. She never
> > lies on the keyboard when I'm at home!
> >
> > Thought you'd want to know,
> >
> > 	bert.
> --
> Nigel Cunningham
> 495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand
>
> Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable events occur
> with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and no one is given credit.
>
> -

- Gábor (larta'H)

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-27  8:52       ` Stuart Longland
From: Stuart Longland @ 2003-11-27  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-27  8:54     ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-11-27  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Gábor Lénárt <lgb@lgb.hu> writes:

>> The cat kills the keyboard instead of the mouse? That is sad!
>
> So, delete /bin/cat ;-)

I tried that.  I had to "rm /bin/cat" nine times before it
disappeared.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@kth.se

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-27 11:57       ` Paul Jackson
From: Paul Jackson @ 2003-11-27 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård; +Cc: linux-kernel

> I had to "rm /bin/cat" nine times ...

You're too cruel.

--
                          I won't rest till it's the best ...
                          Programmer, Linux Scalability

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-27 16:41         ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-11-27 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Paul Jackson <pj@sgi.com> writes:

>> I had to "rm /bin/cat" nine times ...
>
> You're too cruel.

Yes, it I shouldn't have done that.  A while after, the machine
started feeling sluggish, and I started looking around.  I happened to
ls /dev, and it was filled with mouse0, mouse1, mouse2, ...  They kept
coming back after I removed them, too.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@kth.se

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-27 17:37           ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-11-27 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård, linux-kernel

On Thursday 27 November 2003 11:41, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>Paul Jackson <pj@sgi.com> writes:
>>> I had to "rm /bin/cat" nine times ...
>>
>> You're too cruel.
>
>Yes, it I shouldn't have done that.  A while after, the machine
>started feeling sluggish, and I started looking around.  I happened
> to ls /dev, and it was filled with mouse0, mouse1, mouse2, ...
> They kept coming back after I removed them, too.

You're just gonna have to go re-install /bin/cat, or write a new,
better mousetrap. :)

You guys wanna start pulling the other leg for a while now?  That ones
about 3" longer than the other now, and I could use the height to
more closely match my weight. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-27 18:21             ` Nigel Cunningham
From: Nigel Cunningham @ 2003-11-27 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just one more!... Perhaps you had to rm /bin/cat 9 times because you
forgot the -f switch?..

Nigel

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 06:37, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> You're too cruel.
> >
> >Yes, it I shouldn't have done that.  A while after, the machine
> >started feeling sluggish, and I started looking around.  I happened
> > to ls /dev, and it was filled with mouse0, mouse1, mouse2, ...
> > They kept coming back after I removed them, too.
>
> You're just gonna have to go re-install /bin/cat, or write a new,
> better mousetrap. :)
>
> You guys wanna start pulling the other leg for a while now?  That ones
> about 3" longer than the other now, and I could use the height to
> more closely match my weight. :-)
--
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable events occur
with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and no one is given credit.

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-11-28  4:19 ` Tim Connors
From: Tim Connors @ 2003-11-28  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl> said on Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:10:52 +0100:
> This bug has been seen here over eight years ago and it is back.. linux
> 2.6.0-test4 is still not cat proof :-)
>
> I found my cat asleep on the warm laptop, it is winter here, and the
> keyboard was dead. Mouse still works, but I had to reboot before I could use
> the keyboard again. Restarting X, which I could do with the mouse, did not
> help.

Are you sure he didn't press alt-sysreq-r or something? Mine has at
various times, pressed ctrl-alt-backspace, ctrl-alt-delete,
alt-sysrq-b (without s and u first, bastard), and the power button
directly. This is all on a laptop, so sysrq requires you pressing fn
first.

One of the cats have also turned my heater on by the touch sensetive
buttons, in the middle of summer while I was out for the day. The
heater, and the power button now have molly gaurds, but the key
combinations are hard to gaurd against.

Read the fvwm webpage - most of the developers of fvwm have cats, and
have, IIRC, documented various ways around their key typing
habits. IIRC, there is a package that at least detects when a cat is
walking across a keyboard, and forces you to click the mouse in a
window under X. Won't stop the kernel crashing, but will do something.

In all seriousness, on my laptop, (do to this and other reasons, I
have stopped using 2.6 for the time being), when I pressed h and j (or
something like that) at the same time, when I realeased one of the
keys, I got some kernel warning like "invalid keyscan" or
something. Never wrote it down, sorry.

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-28 10:43               ` Harald Arnesen
From: Harald Arnesen @ 2003-11-28 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nigel Cunningham

Nigel Cunningham <ncunningham@clear.net.nz> writes:

> Just one more!... Perhaps you had to rm /bin/cat 9 times because you
> forgot the -f switch?..

Wouldn't "kill -9" work...?
--
Hilsen Harald.

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-11-29 13:36 ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2003-11-29 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bert hubert; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, bert hubert wrote:

> This bug has been seen here over eight years ago and it is back.. linux
> 2.6.0-test4 is still not cat proof :-)
>
> I found my cat asleep on the warm laptop, it is winter here, and the
> keyboard was dead. Mouse still works, but I had to reboot before I could use
> the keyboard again. Restarting X, which I could do with the mouse, did not
> help.

Interesting, I must have different config options, my keyboard is fine, if
I tap the spacebar with my cat on my lap he   b <-(cat spaces) will insert
one or more spaces for me. If I don't trim his nails he may insert nearby
characters as well.

> But I'm willing to live with this problem :-) Not sure if I want to debug
> this, my previous laptop turned out to be filled with hair too. She never
> lies on the keyboard when I'm at home!
>
> Thought you'd want to know,

Nice to know I'm not the only person silly about his cat ;-)

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-29 14:23   ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-11-29 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Davidsen, bert hubert; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Saturday 29 November 2003 08:36, Bill Davidsen wrote:

[...]

>Nice to know I'm not the only person silly about his cat ;-)

And it just goes to prove that old adage about owning cats.

There's some confusion in the humans mind about who owns whom.  There
is none whatsoever in the cats mind.  He owns you, and thats not open
for discussion.  Its just how it is.

Me, I'm a dog person.  Our Shelty might think he's people, but he
knows damned well that in this pack, I'm the alpha male.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-29 16:36   ` Markus Hästbacka
From: Markus Hästbacka @ 2003-11-29 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 15:36, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, bert hubert wrote:
>
> > This bug has been seen here over eight years ago and it is back.. linux
> > 2.6.0-test4 is still not cat proof :-)
> >
> > I found my cat asleep on the warm laptop, it is winter here, and the
> > keyboard was dead. Mouse still works, but I had to reboot before I could use
> > the keyboard again. Restarting X, which I could do with the mouse, did not
> > help.
>
> Interesting, I must have different config options, my keyboard is fine, if
> I tap the spacebar with my cat on my lap he   b <-(cat spaces) will insert
> one or more spaces for me. If I don't trim his nails he may insert nearby
> characters as well.
My cat's like to walk on my keyboard, resulting asöwo+20+0401+0149 :)

> > But I'm willing to live with this problem :-) Not sure if I want to debug
> > this, my previous laptop turned out to be filled with hair too. She never
> > lies on the keyboard when I'm at home!
> >
> > Thought you'd want to know,
>
> Nice to know I'm not the only person silly about his cat ;-)
You just have only on cat? I have three. So probably I should enable
watchdog. 8)
--
"Software is like sex, it's better when it's free."
Markus Hästbacka <midian at ihme dot org>

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-30 14:29     ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2003-11-30 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Markus [ISO-8859-1] Hästbacka wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 15:36, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> > Interesting, I must have different config options, my keyboard is fine, if
> > I tap the spacebar with my cat on my lap he   b <-(cat spaces) will insert
> > one or more spaces for me. If I don't trim his nails he may insert nearby
> > characters as well.
> My cat's like to walk on my keyboard, resulting asöwo+20+0401+0149 :)
> > >
> > > But I'm willing to live with this problem :-) Not sure if I want to debug
> > > this, my previous laptop turned out to be filled with hair too. She never
> > > lies on the keyboard when I'm at home!
> > >
> > > Thought you'd want to know,
> >
> > Nice to know I'm not the only person silly about his cat ;-)
> You just have only on cat? I have three. So probably I should enable
> watchdog. 8)

In all the years I've had a computer, back to S-100 days, this is the only
cat *ever* allowed in the computer room. He's not the only cat in the
house, however, and he gives his recommendation to a very smart and
well-behaved kitten who joined the family recently.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

[-- Type: APPLICATION/PGP-SIGNATURE, Size: 189 bytes --]

* Re: 2.6 not cat proof
@ 2003-11-30 20:09                 ` Bernd Petrovitsch
From: Bernd Petrovitsch @ 2003-11-30 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 11:43, Harald Arnesen wrote:
> Nigel Cunningham <ncunningham@clear.net.nz> writes:
>
> > Just one more!... Perhaps you had to rm /bin/cat 9 times because you
> > forgot the -f switch?..
>
> Wouldn't "kill -9" work...?

`killall -9 cat` should work.

	Bernd