lttng-dev.lists.lttng.org archive mirror
* process/thread-specific UST tracing
@ 2020-05-15 17:16 Yonghong Yan via lttng-dev
From: Yonghong Yan via lttng-dev @ 2020-05-15 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev

I am tracing a multiprocess/multithreaded code (MPI/OpenMP) using
lttng-ust. Right now, I need to include process id and thread id for each
event in order to generate process/thread indexed view of the traces. Is
there a way that I can store per-process events into a specific buffer
without mixing the events with other events that are generated on the same
CPU? The same thing for per-thread events, I would like lttng or CTF to
allow to store per-thread events in a specific buffer without mixing the
events with other events on the same CPU channel. With that feature, I do
not need to store process id and thread id in each event and then need to
query all the events in order to collect per-process or per-thread event.

Thank you
Yonghong

* [lttng-dev] process/thread-specific UST tracing
@ 2020-05-15 17:16 ` Yonghong Yan via lttng-dev
From: Yonghong Yan via lttng-dev @ 2020-05-15 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev

I am tracing a multiprocess/multithreaded code (MPI/OpenMP) using
lttng-ust. Right now, I need to include process id and thread id for each
event in order to generate process/thread indexed view of the traces. Is
there a way that I can store per-process events into a specific buffer
without mixing the events with other events that are generated on the same
CPU? The same thing for per-thread events, I would like lttng or CTF to
allow to store per-thread events in a specific buffer without mixing the
events with other events on the same CPU channel. With that feature, I do
not need to store process id and thread id in each event and then need to
query all the events in order to collect per-process or per-thread event.

Thank you
Yonghong

* Re: process/thread-specific UST tracing
@ 2020-05-15 19:15 ` Mathieu Desnoyers via lttng-dev
From: Mathieu Desnoyers via lttng-dev @ 2020-05-15 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yonghong Yan; +Cc: lttng-dev

----- On May 15, 2020, at 1:16 PM, lttng-dev <lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org> wrote:

> I am tracing a multiprocess/multithreaded code (MPI/OpenMP) using lttng-ust.
> Right now, I need to include process id and thread id for each event in order
> to generate process/thread indexed view of the traces. Is there a way that I
> can store per-process events into a specific buffer without mixing the events
> with other events that are generated on the same CPU? The same thing for
> per-thread events, I would like lttng or CTF to allow to store per-thread
> events in a specific buffer without mixing the events with other events on the
> same CPU channel. With that feature, I do not need to store process id and
> thread id in each event and then need to query all the events in order to
> collect per-process or per-thread event.

No, but you can use kernel tracing (lttng-modules) of the scheduler events (sched:*) to map
the CPU number to the currently running thread and process at trace post-processing.

By doing so, both current thread and process become implicit with the CPU number.

Thanks,

Mathieu

> Thank you
> Yonghong

Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com

* Re: [lttng-dev] process/thread-specific UST tracing
@ 2020-05-15 19:15   ` Mathieu Desnoyers via lttng-dev
From: Mathieu Desnoyers via lttng-dev @ 2020-05-15 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yonghong Yan; +Cc: lttng-dev