lttng-dev.lists.lttng.org archive mirror
* [lttng-dev] lttng 2.12 install
@ 2020-11-20 17:43 Weber, John via lttng-dev
From: Weber, John via lttng-dev @ 2020-11-20 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org'

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1345 bytes --]

Hi, I have a centos 7.8 workstation that I'm trying to install lttng-modules & lttng-tools from source. Based on your install instructions I'm working on installing the modules part first and its failing. I am getting the error:
Make entering directory /usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-1127.19.1.el7.x86_64
Arch/x86/Makefile:166 *** CONFIG_RETPOLINE=y, but not supported by the compiler. Compiler update recommended... stop
Make: modules error 2

Help, how can I get this program to install? Im stuck. Also, my work environment is classified so there is no access to internet from high side.

----------------------------
John Weber
Ball Aerospace
ITS ND System Administrator
10 Longs Peak Dr., Broomfield, CO 80021
C: 303-807-3608   P: 303-234-2103
E: jweber1@ball.com

[cid:image001.jpg@01D6BF29.AD6C5250]

[cid:image002.jpg@01D6BF29.AD6C5250]<http://www.ball.com/aerospace>

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 5525 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: image001.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 1514 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.3: image002.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 2468 bytes --]

* Re: [lttng-dev] lttng 2.12 install
@ 2020-11-20 18:47 ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien via lttng-dev
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien via lttng-dev @ 2020-11-20 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber, John; +Cc: 'lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org'

Hi John,

This does not seems to be directly related to the lttng-modules project.

This errors seems to arise because of the compiler you are using to compile
lttng-modules (kernel modules). The RETPOLINE check is part of the kernel build
system, not directly lttng-modules.

I would recommend that you take a look at the /proc/version file and the
compiler that was used to compile your kernel.

Also note that EfficiOS [1] provide commercial support if you ever need more
in-depth support.

Cheers

[1] https://www.efficios.com/contact/

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 05:43:00PM +0000, Weber, John via lttng-dev wrote:
> Hi, I have a centos 7.8 workstation that I'm trying to install lttng-modules & lttng-tools from source. Based on your install instructions I'm working on installing the modules part first and its failing. I am getting the error:
> Make entering directory /usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-1127.19.1.el7.x86_64
> Arch/x86/Makefile:166 *** CONFIG_RETPOLINE=y, but not supported by the compiler. Compiler update recommended... stop
> Make: modules error 2
>
> Help, how can I get this program to install? Im stuck. Also, my work environment is classified so there is no access to internet from high side.
>
> ----------------------------
> John Weber
> Ball Aerospace
> ITS ND System Administrator
> 10 Longs Peak Dr., Broomfield, CO 80021
> C: 303-807-3608   P: 303-234-2103
> E: jweber1@ball.com
>

> [cid:image001.jpg@01D6BF29.AD6C5250]
>

> [cid:image002.jpg@01D6BF29.AD6C5250]<http://www.ball.com/aerospace>
>
> This message and any enclosures are intended only for the addressee.  Please
> notify the sender by email if you are not the intended recipient.  If you are
> not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute this
> message or its contents or enclosures to any other person and any such actions
> may be unlawful.  Ball reserves the right to monitor and review all messages
> and enclosures sent to or from this email address.

Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
EfficiOS

* Re: [lttng-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re:  lttng 2.12 install
@ 2020-11-24 19:22   ` Weber, John via lttng-dev
From: Weber, John via lttng-dev @ 2020-11-24 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Rajotte-Julien'; +Cc: 'lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org'

Hi, thanks for your reply. So, on my system there are 2 gcc's. one installed by the OS and the other by installation of devtooset-6. Upon checking the versions of both I have 4.8.5 installed by OS in /usr/bin the other one from devtoolset is 6.3.1. Your reference to check /proc/version shows that it sees 4.8.5. how can I manipulate the install to use the gcc from /opt/rh/devtoolset-6/root/bin/gcc (which is 6.3.1)

----------------------------

[1] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.efficios.com_contact_&d=DwIBAg&c=jF7FvYH6t0RX1HrEjVCgHQ&r=t_BRyMysL9XIchJvkrT9wQ&m=EB0u_nTE1tUx4ZXA7ENPxCS2zGFrbf0ZpfI5DiP051o&s=JumKvFuRjeKw-8NQkpWd1nN8ZOHAo-JMUMiqWc2Oq9o&e=

--

@ 2020-11-24 20:21     ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien via lttng-dev
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien via lttng-dev @ 2020-11-24 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber, John; +Cc: 'lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org'

Hi John,

AFAIK, you should be able to do so using something similar to the following:

  make CC="your_compiler" HOSTCC="your_compiler" ...

Cheers

@ 2020-11-24 21:02       ` Weber, John via lttng-dev
From: Weber, John via lttng-dev @ 2020-11-24 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Rajotte-Julien'; +Cc: 'lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org'

Ok, it I get what you're saying then I am modifying make on the command line while running make? Still the same problem. I don't think it is using the gcc I am specifying as it continues to look in: /usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-1127.19.1.el7.x86_64/
And I suspect it is still seeing the OS version of gcc (4.8.5) instead of the 6.3.1 provided by devtoolset-6.
Do you have some pixy dust??

----------------------------

@ 2020-11-24 21:18         ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien via lttng-dev
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien via lttng-dev @ 2020-11-24 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber, John; +Cc: 'lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org'

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 09:02:41PM +0000, Weber, John wrote:
> Ok, it I get what you're saying then I am modifying make on the command line while running make?

Yeah.

> Still the same problem. I don't think it is using the gcc I am specifying as it continues to look in: /usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-1127.19.1.el7.x86_64/

This is normal since you are compiling the modules against that source tree.

> And I suspect it is still seeing the OS version of gcc (4.8.5) instead of the 6.3.1 provided by devtoolset-6.

At this point, I would take a look at the actual package installed that provide gcc
4.8.5 and have a look at what is available from centos/redhjat and also maybe ping
a centos mailing list. You can CC me on that email if you feel like
it just in case it turn out the problem is on our side.

> Do you have some pixy dust??

Sadly, no. Others might have some left...

@ 2020-11-24 21:41         ` Michael Jeanson via lttng-dev
From: Michael Jeanson via lttng-dev @ 2020-11-24 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weber, John, 'Jonathan Rajotte-Julien'
  Cc: 'lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org'

On 2020-11-24 16 h 02, Weber, John via lttng-dev wrote:
> Ok, it I get what you're saying then I am modifying make on the command line while running make? Still the same problem. I don't think it is using the gcc I am specifying as it continues to look in: /usr/src/kernels/3.10.0-1127.19.1.el7.x86_64/
> And I suspect it is still seeing the OS version of gcc (4.8.5) instead of the 6.3.1 provided by devtoolset-6.
> Do you have some pixy dust??

Running this will get you verbose output while building which should
help you determine which compiler and other tools are used :

   make CC="/opt/rh/devtoolset-6/root/bin/gcc" V=1

* Re: [lttng-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: lttng 2.12 install
@ 2020-11-24 22:01           ` Weber, John via lttng-dev
From: Weber, John via lttng-dev @ 2020-11-24 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Michael Jeanson', 'Jonathan Rajotte-Julien'
  Cc: 'lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org'

Ok, so still same situation however it appears that the make program is able to use the devtoolset gcc but I still get the error. My work environment is classified however, this system has already been updated. If I try to up or down with versioning I am sure to have a dependency nightmare. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I guess I'm kind of confused over this whole issue of installing your software. I'm running centos 7.8 which is recent. Why isn’t my current version of gcc good enough? Is lttng 2.12 so new it only works on linux newer than 7.8??? sorry just not sure why this problem even exists at this point. Does 2.12 only work on linux version 8+? Would an older version of lttng be even work it? I mean the software that I install for our environment is as new as possible. I support a team of aerospace software developers. Maybe this just isn’t an option and maybe we should look at something else. I also have version 2.4 but that seems to be to old in comparison to the other software we use. Thoughts?