lttng-dev.lists.lttng.org archive mirror
* [lttng-dev] quick question about setting up lttng on Redhat
@ 2021-07-19 13:40 Evan Galea via lttng-dev
From: Evan Galea via lttng-dev @ 2021-07-19 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev

Hello there

We have been considering setting up Redhat on my system and have learned
that Lttng packages are supported. I was hoping to quickly learn the answer
to two questions:

1: As Redhat is based on Fedora, Do I just use the instructions for Fedora?
I know it's probably a stupid question but I just want to make sure I'm
doing everything correctly.

2: Are there any differences between Lttng on Redhat and Lttng on Ubuntu or
are they simply the same? Again just need to make absolutely sure as I
don't want to do anything without first knowing

Thank you for your time and sorry if the answers to these questions are
somewhere I didn't look.

Evan Galea

* Re: [lttng-dev] quick question about setting up lttng on Redhat
@ 2021-07-19 21:31 ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien via lttng-dev
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien via lttng-dev @ 2021-07-19 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan Galea; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hello,

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 09:40:06AM -0400, Evan Galea via lttng-dev wrote:
> Hello there
>
> We have been considering setting up Redhat on my system and have learned
> that Lttng packages are supported. I was hoping to quickly learn the answer

EfficiOS provides commercial support for RedHat. Please contact
sales@efficios.com if you need commercial support.

> to two questions:
>
> 1: As Redhat is based on Fedora, Do I just use the instructions for Fedora?
> I know it's probably a stupid question but I just want to make sure I'm
> doing everything correctly.

I do not think so, since the packages repository are not the same AFAIK.

If you are using RHEL 7 and okai with using lttng 2.10, you can have a look here
http://packages.efficios.com/

Installing from source is also a possibility. The only major hurdle might be
lttng-modules depending on your kernel version.

> 2: Are there any differences between Lttng on Redhat and Lttng on Ubuntu or
> are they simply the same? Again just need to make absolutely sure as I
> don't want to do anything without first knowing

At the functionality level, it will be the same. Distros do not influence the
functionality we expose. At least not for now...

For Ubuntu, the lttng project have multiple PPA depending on your need.

https://launchpad.net/~lttng

> Thank you for your time and sorry if the answers to these questions are
> somewhere I didn't look.
>
> Evan Galea

Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
EfficiOS