----- On Sep 1, 2021, at 1:23 PM, lttng-dev wrote: > Hi there, > I am currently evaluating the use of CTF and lttng tooling for application > tracing on windows. We are exploring alternatives to ETW that are more > customisable. > One thing we would really like to do is real-time monitoring of our application > from another machine. I have a few questions regarding this: > 1. Is lttng live protocol suitable for this purpose? What kind of latency would > we expect? (e.g 10s or 100s of milliseconds or more) The lttng live protocol has been designed for extracting a low-throughput of events to a live pretty-printer, with delays in the area of a few seconds. It's a polling-based mechanism at the moment. > 2. Is the protocol documented? No. There is only an implementation with the lttng project and in babeltrace. > 3. Is it possible to use lttng-relayd to read from local CTF log files (which > are being written to) and stream events to other machines / a viewer on the > same machine? The reason I ask this is the documentation seems suggests > lttng-relayd can consume CTF files [ > https://lttng.org/docs/v2.13/#doc-lttng-relayd | > https://lttng.org/docs/v2.13/#doc-lttng-relayd ] . lttng-relayd needs to control both writing to the CTF log files and reading from them. The "writing to" cannot be done by an external process. > 4. I see there is a windows cygwin build on jenkins. Would you recommend this > for production use? We do not recommend Cygwin builds for production use unless there are no alternatives. From my own past experience, the Cygwin layer is not a solid basis for production-quality software. Thanks for your interest, Mathieu > Any guidance would be much appreciated. > Thanks in advance, > Mayur > -- > [ http://www.disguise.one/ ] > Mayur Patel > Lead Software Engineer > T : +44 20 7234 9840 > M : +44 7342 180127 > A : [ > https://www.google.com/maps/place/88-89%20Blackfriars%20Road,%20London,%20SE1%208HA > | 88-89 Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 8HA ] > [ https://www.facebook.com/disguise.one/ ] > [ https://twitter.com/disguise_one ] > [ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBXckvTm2VHU29BUoKJizvA ] > [ https://www.instagram.com/disguise_one/ ] > [ https://www.linkedin.com/company/disguise-/ ] > disguise Technologies Limited is a privately owned business registered in > England and Wales (registered number 07937973), with its registered office > located at 88-89 Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 8HA. This e-mail, and any > attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein > and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are > not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any > dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments > thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, > please notify me by replying to this message and permanently delete the > original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof. Although this > e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus, or other > defect which might affect any computer or system into which they are received > and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are > virus free and no responsibility is accepted by disguise for any loss or damage > from receipt or use thereof. > _______________________________________________ > lttng-dev mailing list > lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org > https://lists.lttng.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lttng-dev -- Mathieu Desnoyers EfficiOS Inc. http://www.efficios.com