Thank you for the information! On Wed, 15 Sept 2021 at 17:00, Mathieu Desnoyers < mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com> wrote: > > ----- On Sep 1, 2021, at 1:23 PM, lttng-dev > wrote: > > Hi there, > > I am currently evaluating the use of CTF and lttng tooling for application > tracing on windows. We are exploring alternatives to ETW that are more > customisable. > One thing we would really like to do is real-time monitoring of our > application from another machine. I have a few questions regarding this: > > 1. Is lttng live protocol suitable for this purpose? What kind of latency > would we expect? (e.g 10s or 100s of milliseconds or more) > > > The lttng live protocol has been designed for extracting a low-throughput > of events to a live pretty-printer, with delays in the area of > a few seconds. It's a polling-based mechanism at the moment. > > 2. Is the protocol documented? > > > No. There is only an implementation with the lttng project and in > babeltrace. > > 3. Is it possible to use lttng-relayd to read from local CTF log files > (which are being written to) and stream events to other machines / a viewer > on the same machine? The reason I ask this is the documentation seems > suggests lttng-relayd can consume CTF files > https://lttng.org/docs/v2.13/#doc-lttng-relayd. > > > lttng-relayd needs to control both writing to the CTF log files and > reading from them. The "writing to" > cannot be done by an external process. > > 4. I see there is a windows cygwin build on jenkins. Would you recommend > this for production use? > > > We do not recommend Cygwin builds for production use unless there are no > alternatives. From my own > past experience, the Cygwin layer is not a solid basis for > production-quality software. > > Thanks for your interest, > > Mathieu > > > Any guidance would be much appreciated. > > Thanks in advance, > > Mayur > > -- > > > > Mayur Patel > > Lead Software Engineer > > T : +44 20 7234 9840 > > M : +44 7342 180127 > > A : 88-89 Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 8HA > > > > > > > > > > > > > disguise Technologies Limited is a privately owned business registered in > England and Wales (registered number 07937973), with its registered office > located at 88-89 Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 8HA. This e-mail, and any > attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named > herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. > If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby > notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, > and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received > this e-mail in error, please notify me by replying to this message and > permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any > printout thereof. Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to > be free of any virus, or other defect which might affect any computer or > system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of > the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is > accepted by disguise for any loss or damage from receipt or use thereof. > > _______________________________________________ > lttng-dev mailing list > lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org > https://lists.lttng.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lttng-dev > > > -- > Mathieu Desnoyers > EfficiOS Inc. > http://www.efficios.com > Mayur Patel Lead Software Engineer +44 20 7234 9840 88-89 Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 8HA