lvfs-general.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [LVFS] What SSD to buy if the firmware shall be flashable via Linux
@ 2022-11-06 16:37 Elmar Stellnberger
From: Elmar Stellnberger @ 2022-11-06 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lvfs-general

Dear people at the LVFS mailing list

  I wanna buy a new 2TB SATA SSD and it should be possible to flash the
firmware under Linux via the LVFS tools which is to my knowledge
fwupdtool. It is important that I can also flash the firmware if it is
already tagged to be the newest because once I lost a drive apparently
because its firmware got damaged although no newer update for it was
available. It didn´t get damaged by flashing but via a cracking
incident.
  So from what vendor shall I buy my new SSD? I have read that some or
perhaps all Samsung drives can be used with fwupdtool. Previously I had
buyed Crucial SSDs because they had a proprietary Linux compatible
flashing tool which did however only work for updates not for pure
rewrites of the firmware. Can anyone help? Is there a Linux
compatibility list for those who wanna be able to flash the drive
firmware of a SSD, HDD or CDROM and who want to check this out before
acutally purchasing such a device?

Regards,
Elmar Stellnberger (Dipl.-Ing.)

* Re: [LVFS] What SSD to buy if the firmware shall be flashable via Linux
@ 2022-11-07 14:27 ` Richard Hughes
From: Richard Hughes @ 2022-11-07 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elmar Stellnberger; +Cc: lvfs-general

On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 at 16:45, Elmar Stellnberger via LVFS-general
<lvfs-general@lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>   So from what vendor shall I buy my new SSD?

That's a good question without a very good answer. There are a lot of
ODMs uploading *for* OEMs, so for instance Toshiba-branded NVMe drives
supplied to Dell get firmware updates but the Toshiba-branded NVMe
drives you can buy in the store probably don't. I think the
StarDrives[1] are the only one's I'm sure work regardless of where
they were purchased from, but I think there might be others on
https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/ e.g. the Intel ones. Just be careful
to check model numbers.

It's super frustrating it's not just "all drives" and so make sure you
feed that back to the vendor in the form of a email or support
request.

Richard.

[1] https://starlabs.systems/products/star-drive