netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* can: tcan4x5x: spi bits_per_word issue on Raspberry PI
@ 2019-08-14 15:01 FIXED-TERM Buecheler Konstantin (ETAS-SEC/ECT-Mu)
From: FIXED-TERM Buecheler Konstantin (ETAS-SEC/ECT-Mu) @ 2019-08-14 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-can, netdev; +Cc: Dan Murphy

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to use a tcan4550 together with a Raspberry PI 3 B. I am using the
> tcan4x5x driver from net-next.
> I always get the following error during startup.
> 	tcan4x5x spi0.0: Probe failed, err=-22
> 	tcan4x5x: probe of spi0.0 failed with error -22
>
> I realized that this happens because the Raspberry PI does only support 8/9 bit
> words. https://elinux.org/index.php?title=RPi_SPI#Supported_bits_per_word
> In the driver it is set to 32.
> 	spi->bits_per_word = 32;
>
> Setting this to 8 does not help of course since the tcan chip expects a multiple of
> 32 per spi transaction.
> I don't know if this is a Raspberry Pi specific problem or if there are more devices
> with this hardware limitation.
>
> Does anyone have a workaround for that?

It seems to be enough to just change the bits_per_word value to 8

> If this a common issue it might be a good idea to patch the driver. I will check if I
> can find proper a way to do so.
>
> Regards,
> Konstantin

Now I have another really confusing problem. Anything I write to SPI is written little endian. The tcan chip expects big endian.
Anything I read from SPI is treated as little endian but is big endian. Does anyone know why this happens?
Is there a flag or something I can set for the SPI device/wire to fix this?

Regards,
Konstantin

* Re: can: tcan4x5x: spi bits_per_word issue on Raspberry PI
@ 2019-08-15  8:34 ` Marc Kleine-Budde
       [not found]   ` <e6577cc2-89fc-9428-b73e-47f41eff2949@posteo.de>
From: Marc Kleine-Budde @ 2019-08-15  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FIXED-TERM Buecheler Konstantin (ETAS-SEC/ECT-Mu), linux-can, netdev
  Cc: Dan Murphy

On 8/14/19 5:01 PM, FIXED-TERM Buecheler Konstantin (ETAS-SEC/ECT-Mu) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to use a tcan4550 together with a Raspberry PI 3 B. I am using the
>> tcan4x5x driver from net-next.
>> I always get the following error during startup.
>> 	tcan4x5x spi0.0: Probe failed, err=-22
>> 	tcan4x5x: probe of spi0.0 failed with error -22
>>
>> I realized that this happens because the Raspberry PI does only support 8/9 bit
>> words. https://elinux.org/index.php?title=RPi_SPI#Supported_bits_per_word
>> In the driver it is set to 32.
>> 	spi->bits_per_word = 32;
>>
>> Setting this to 8 does not help of course since the tcan chip expects a multiple of
>> 32 per spi transaction.
>> I don't know if this is a Raspberry Pi specific problem or if there are more devices
>> with this hardware limitation.
>>
>> Does anyone have a workaround for that?
>
> It seems to be enough to just change the bits_per_word value to 8
>

>> If this a common issue it might be a good idea to patch the driver. I will check if I
>> can find proper a way to do so.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Konstantin
>
> Now I have another really confusing problem. Anything I write to SPI is written little endian. The tcan chip expects big endian.
> Anything I read from SPI is treated as little endian but is big endian. Does anyone know why this happens?
> Is there a flag or something I can set for the SPI device/wire to fix this?

Have you changed the bits_per_word to 8? Then you read just a stream of
bytes. If you tread them as an u32 they are in host order.

Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |

* AW: can: tcan4x5x: spi bits_per_word issue on Raspberry PI
       [not found]   ` <e6577cc2-89fc-9428-b73e-47f41eff2949@posteo.de>
@ 2019-08-16  8:26     ` FIXED-TERM Buecheler Konstantin (ETAS-SEC/ECT-Mu)
From: FIXED-TERM Buecheler Konstantin (ETAS-SEC/ECT-Mu) @ 2019-08-16  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Menschel, Marc Kleine-Budde, linux-can, netdev; +Cc: Dan Murphy

> >> Now I have another really confusing problem. Anything I write to SPI is written little endian. The tcan chip expects big endian.
> >> Anything I read from SPI is treated as little endian but is big endian. Does anyone know why this happens?
> >> Is there a flag or something I can set for the SPI device/wire to fix this?
> >
> > Have you changed the bits_per_word to 8? Then you read just a stream
> > of bytes. If you tread them as an u32 they are in host order.

@Marc
Yes, I changed bits_per_word to 8. Since the PI does not support any values apart from
8 and 9 this seems to be the only way.

> > Marc
> >

> Hi,
>
> from my experience with SPIDEV on RPI, the driver uses a char array for I/O.
> As the RPI code is build little endian, logically little endian comes out of SPI. You
> basically have to invert the bit and byte order by hand for a big endian slave.

@Patrick, Marc
You both are right. This seems to be the problem. The SPI driver uses char arrays
and the tcan driver treats them as u32.

I will try to change the byte order by hand to get it running for my project. But in the long
run, this does not seem to be a proper solution...

Regards,
Konstantin

> Clock Phase and Clock Polarity are also an issue on the RPI as at least SPIDEV
> kindly overlooks any options set previously.
> I had my share of this while writing a test app for a MAX31855 IC and ended up
> casting a little endian array to a big endian structure.
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

* Re: AW: can: tcan4x5x: spi bits_per_word issue on Raspberry PI
@ 2019-08-16  8:37       ` Marc Kleine-Budde
From: Marc Kleine-Budde @ 2019-08-16  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FIXED-TERM Buecheler Konstantin (ETAS-SEC/ECT-Mu),
	Patrick Menschel, linux-can, netdev