netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* renaming FIELD_SIZEOF to sizeof_member (was Re: [GIT PULL] treewide conversion to sizeof_member() for v5.4-rc1)
       [not found]   ` <201909261347.3F04AFA0@keescook>
@ 2019-10-02 18:19     ` Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2019-10-02 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller
  Cc: linux-kernel, Linus Torvalds, Pankaj Bharadiya, Joe Perches,
	Alexey Dobriyan, netdev

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 01:56:55PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 01:06:01PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >  (a) why didn't this use the already existing and well-named macro
> > that nobody really had issues with?
>
> That was suggested, but other folks wanted the more accurate "member"
> instead of "field" since a treewide change was happening anyway:
> https://www.openwall.com/lists/kernel-hardening/2019/07/02/2
>
> At the end of the day, I really don't care -- I just want to have _one_
> macro. :)
>
> >  (b) I see no sign of the networking people having been asked about
> > their preferences.
>
> Yeah, that's entirely true. Totally my mistake; it seemed like a trivial
> enough change that I didn't want to bother too many people. But let's
> fix that now... Dave, do you have any concerns about this change of
> FIELD_SIZEOF() to sizeof_member() (or if it prevails, sizeof_field())?

David, can you weight in on this? Are you okay with a mass renaming of
FIELD_SIZEOF() to sizeof_member(), as the largest user of the old macro
is in networking?

Thanks!

--
Kees Cook

* Re: renaming FIELD_SIZEOF to sizeof_member
@ 2019-10-02 20:21       ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2019-10-02 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: keescook
  Cc: linux-kernel, torvalds, pankaj.laxminarayan.bharadiya, joe,
	adobriyan, netdev

From: Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 11:19:16 -0700

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 01:56:55PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 01:06:01PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> >  (a) why didn't this use the already existing and well-named macro
>> > that nobody really had issues with?
>>
>> That was suggested, but other folks wanted the more accurate "member"
>> instead of "field" since a treewide change was happening anyway:
>> https://www.openwall.com/lists/kernel-hardening/2019/07/02/2
>>
>> At the end of the day, I really don't care -- I just want to have _one_
>> macro. :)
>>
>> >  (b) I see no sign of the networking people having been asked about
>> > their preferences.
>>
>> Yeah, that's entirely true. Totally my mistake; it seemed like a trivial
>> enough change that I didn't want to bother too many people. But let's
>> fix that now... Dave, do you have any concerns about this change of
>> FIELD_SIZEOF() to sizeof_member() (or if it prevails, sizeof_field())?
>
> David, can you weight in on this? Are you okay with a mass renaming of
> FIELD_SIZEOF() to sizeof_member(), as the largest user of the old macro
> is in networking?

I have no objection to moving to sizeof_member().

* Re: renaming FIELD_SIZEOF to sizeof_member
@ 2019-10-02 20:53         ` Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2019-10-02 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: torvalds
  Cc: linux-kernel, pankaj.laxminarayan.bharadiya, joe, adobriyan,
	netdev, David Miller

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 01:21:21PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org>
> Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 11:19:16 -0700

> >> That was suggested, but other folks wanted the more accurate "member"
> >> instead of "field" since a treewide change was happening anyway:
> >> https://www.openwall.com/lists/kernel-hardening/2019/07/02/2
> >>
> >> At the end of the day, I really don't care -- I just want to have _one_
> >> macro. :)

> >> Yeah, that's entirely true. Totally my mistake; it seemed like a trivial
> >> enough change that I didn't want to bother too many people. But let's
> >> fix that now... Dave, do you have any concerns about this change of
> >> FIELD_SIZEOF() to sizeof_member() (or if it prevails, sizeof_field())?
> >
> > David, can you weight in on this? Are you okay with a mass renaming of
> > FIELD_SIZEOF() to sizeof_member(), as the largest user of the old macro
> > is in networking?
>
> I have no objection to moving to sizeof_member().

Great; thank you!

Linus, are you still open to taking this series with Dave's buy-in? I'd
really hate to break it up since it's such a mechanical treewide
change. I'm also happy to wait until the next -rc1 window; whatever you
think is best here.

Thanks!

--
Kees Cook