netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: "Marek Behún" <kabel@kernel.org>
To: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <linux@armlinux.org.uk>
Cc: andrew@lunn.ch, netdev@vger.kernel.org, olteanv@gmail.com,
	pavana.sharma@digi.com
Subject: Re: mv88e6xxx: 2500base-x inband AN is broken on Amethyst? what to do?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 18:03:31 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 10:28:49 +0000
Russell King - ARM Linux admin <linux@armlinux.org.uk> wrote:

> I don't know whether the 88x3310 on the host side uses AN or not for
> 2500base-X - that detail isn't mentioned in the datasheet, and I don't
> have a setup that I could test that with.

It does not. I have been poking the registers on 88x3310, and also on
Peridot and Amethyst SERDES PHYs when cmode on the switch is set to
2500base-x, and by default the inband AN is disabled.

Enabling it on the PHY in Amethyst does not work at all. On Peridot
your code in mv88e6xxx enables it, but when 88x3310 is connected to
Peridot SERDES, it does not work until the AN is disabled on Peridot.

Enabling the AN on 2500base-x mode on 88x3310 does not seem to work.

I will do some more tests by poking the registers and report this.

Marek