netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@redhat.com>
To: netdev <netdev@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Björn Töpel" <bjorn.topel@gmail.com>,
	"Jesse Brandeburg" <jesse.brandeburg@intel.com>,
	"Tony Nguyen" <anthony.l.nguyen@intel.com>,
	"Marek Majtyka" <alardam@gmail.com>
Cc: brouer@redhat.com,
	intel-wired-lan <intel-wired-lan@lists.osuosl.org>,
	"Jakub Kicinski" <kuba@kernel.org>,
	"Alexei Starovoitov" <alexei.starovoitov@gmail.com>,
	"Maciej Fijalkowski" <maciej.fijalkowski@intel.com>,
	"Tony Brelinski" <tonyx.brelinski@intel.com>,
	"Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@redhat.com>
Subject: Driver i40e have XDP-redirect bug
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 13:18:32 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi i40e-people + XDP-feature-people,

The driver i40e have a XDP-redirect bug, where is it partly broken. It can
transmit a redirected xdp_frame (from another driver). But broken when
redirecting a xdp_frame that is received by the driver itself.

This reminds me about lacking XDP-features, as this "state" is actually
"supported" (for Intel drivers), when running in 'legacy-rx' mode.  This can
be configured (via: 'ethtool --set-priv-flags i40e2 legacy-rx on').  When
running in 'legacy-rx' mode the headroom is zero, which means that xdp_frame
cannot be created as it is stored in this headroom, but an XDP-prog can
still run a (DDoS) filter.  (Hint grepping after xdp_redirect stats is not enough).

The BUG I experience *is* that headroom is zero, but 'legacy-rx' mode is off:

  $ ethtool --show-priv-flags i40e2 | grep legacy-rx
  legacy-rx             : off

This is clearly a driver initialization bug as the headroom should not
be zero in this configuration. Further indication that this is related
to init order: If while xdp_redirect is running, I change RX-ring size
(e.g. 'ethtool -G i40e2 rx 1024') then redirect starts working again.

I will continue to find the offending commit... (to-be-continued)
(p.s. testing on net-next on top of commit d310ec03a34e92).

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer