Linus Torvalds wrote: >> From: Patrick McHardy >> Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:05:57 +0200 >> >>> The idea was that NETFILTER_ADVANCED=n enables everything needed >>> by mainstream distributions and hides the rest. We can certainly >>> change the default for this option, but that makes NETFILTER_ADVANCED >>> pretty much useless. >> A new feature cannot possibly be used by existing distributions. I >> think that's the main gripe. > > > Well, if the feature really is going to be something that a _normal_ > netfilter config needs, then it should indeed be turned on. As I said, I don't know whether its needed, but judging by James' response, its going to be needed for a regular FC installation. Its not needed today of course, so the attached patch changes it to depend on NETFILTER_ADVANCED and removes the default. > However, nothing in the docs imply that at all. Can you explain? Why > should IP_NF_SECURITY be on, and why should a default netfilter table > enable it? And if it should, WHY THE HELL IS IT DOCUMENTED THAT YOU SHOULD > SAY 'N'? I think I'll just change all the help texts for options having different defaults with NETFILTER_ADVANCED=n to say "If unsure, choose the default" to remove the contradictions we'd otherwise always have.