On Friday, 28 June 2019 18:49:05 CEST David Miller wrote: [...] > I think that when you have the read_lock held, RCU is not necessary in order > to use __in6_dev_get() but I may be mistaken. Just FYI... Problem is that the read_lock() can only be used after the __in6_dev_get() finished sucessfully. Because the read_lock's lock is stored in the inet6_dev object which was retrieved via __in6_dev_get. And the __in6_dev_get kerneldoc states [1] that you either have to hold RTNL or RCU (see also the rcu_dereference_rtnl call inside this function). So we can only drop the rcu_read_lock when RTNL lock is held . I would guess now that this is not the case here - Linus' might want to correct me. Kind regards, Sven [1] https://lxr.missinglinkelectronics.com/linux/include/net/addrconf.h#L335