On 1/10/2022 12:09 PM, Hector Martin wrote: > On 2022/01/10 18:11, Arend van Spriel wrote: >> On 1/4/2022 8:26 AM, Hector Martin wrote: >>> Newer Apple firmwares on chipsets without a hardware RNG require the >>> host to provide a buffer of 256 random bytes to the device on >>> initialization. This buffer is present immediately before NVRAM, >>> suffixed by a footer containing a magic number and the buffer length. >>> >>> This won't affect chips/firmwares that do not use this feature, so do it >>> unconditionally. >> >> Not sure what the general opinion is here, but pulling random bytes for >> naught seems wasteful to me. So if there is a way of knowing it is >> needed please make it conditional. > > We could gate it on specific chips only, if you don't mind maintaining a > list of those. AIUI that would be all the T2 platform chips or so (the > newer two don't seem to need it). > > Alternatively we could just do this only if an Apple OTP is detected. > That is already implicitly gated by the OTP offset chip list. That sounds like a good approach. Regards, Arend